Vince Gill Receives BMI Icon Award; Whitey Morgan & The 78s Announce Live Album; Palomino Launches Blackwing Music
A couple CMA Awards were announced this morning so that tonight’s show has more time for Meghan Trainor and Ariana Grande, apparently. Musical Event of the Year went to Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert’s “We Were Us” and Dierks Bentley’s “Drunk on a Plane” won Video of the Year. Last night Vince Gill was honored with […]
NYC Gets Country Fest; Tompkins Square Records Celebrates Nine Years; Angaleena Presley, Nadine Hubbs Discuss Country Music Classism
Jewly Hight did a fantastic piece for Wondering Sound in which she talks with Angaleena Presley and scholar Nadine Hubbs (author of Rednecks, Queers, and Country Music) about class and country music. Your other piece of mandatory reading: this Cuepoint feature in which Myra Gale Brown, Jerry Lee Lewis’ child bride, now 70, tells the […]
The phrase “feel-good album” conjures up memories of subpar songs about people bravely fighting cancer or disability while dispensing wisdom. Good thing you can always rely on Paul Thorn to keep things from getting too mawkish. The soulful singer-songwriter is in fine form on his new album, Too Blessed to Be Stressed, which manages to […]
Fleck-Washburn Album Due in October; Kenny Rogers’ HoF Exhibit Opens; Ruthie Foster Releases New Video
Here are Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry singing “Keep It to Yourself” in a clip cut from their CMT Crossroads special. Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn will release a banjoriffic self-titled album on Rounder Records October 7. Listen to one of the songs, “Railroad,” here. If you love yourself, you’ll stream Paul Thorn’s fab new album, Too […]
Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
Paul Thorn’s next album, Too Blessed to be Stressed, is due out August 19. Here’s the new video for his song “Everybody Needs Somebody.” In an interview for CelebStoner.com (yeah, you probably shouldn’t click that if you’re at work), Willie Nelson revealed that he and Kacey Musgraves are “going to do some recording together.” Nelson’s […]
This summer’s DelFest lineup has been announced. The Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, The Duhks, Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder, and Hot Rize featuring Red Knuckles and The Trailblazers are just a few of the acts who’ll be playing the Memorial Day weekend festival in […]
Loretta Lynn didn’t let a broken rib keep her from singing. Lynn also told Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin that she’s interested in making another album with Jack White. The Earl Scruggs Center will open in Shelby, NC on January 11. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has secured $78 million in contributions as part […]
Carrie Underwood Donates $1 Million for Oklahoma Relief; Bill Kirchen Talks Tele; HoF to Salute Bergen White
Carrie Underwood has donated $1 million to the Red Cross for tornado relief efforts. Paul Thorn has announced that anyone who attends his May 30 concert in Oklahoma and brings items to help aid the relief efforts will receive a free CD. Bill Kirchen talks about his Telecaster in this nifty video. On June 15, […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...