The phrase “feel-good album” conjures up memories of subpar songs about people bravely fighting cancer or disability while dispensing wisdom. Good thing you can always rely on Paul Thorn to keep things from getting too mawkish. The soulful singer-songwriter is in fine form on his new album, Too Blessed to Be Stressed, which manages to […]
Fleck-Washburn Album Due in October; Kenny Rogers’ HoF Exhibit Opens; Ruthie Foster Releases New Video
Here are Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry singing “Keep It to Yourself” in a clip cut from their CMT Crossroads special. Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn will release a banjoriffic self-titled album on Rounder Records October 7. Listen to one of the songs, “Railroad,” here. If you love yourself, you’ll stream Paul Thorn’s fab new album, Too […]
Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
Paul Thorn’s next album, Too Blessed to be Stressed, is due out August 19. Here’s the new video for his song “Everybody Needs Somebody.” In an interview for CelebStoner.com (yeah, you probably shouldn’t click that if you’re at work), Willie Nelson revealed that he and Kacey Musgraves are “going to do some recording together.” Nelson’s […]
This summer’s DelFest lineup has been announced. The Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, The Duhks, Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder, and Hot Rize featuring Red Knuckles and The Trailblazers are just a few of the acts who’ll be playing the Memorial Day weekend festival in […]
Loretta Lynn didn’t let a broken rib keep her from singing. Lynn also told Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin that she’s interested in making another album with Jack White. The Earl Scruggs Center will open in Shelby, NC on January 11. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has secured $78 million in contributions as part […]
Carrie Underwood Donates $1 Million for Oklahoma Relief; Bill Kirchen Talks Tele; HoF to Salute Bergen White
Carrie Underwood has donated $1 million to the Red Cross for tornado relief efforts. Paul Thorn has announced that anyone who attends his May 30 concert in Oklahoma and brings items to help aid the relief efforts will receive a free CD. Bill Kirchen talks about his Telecaster in this nifty video. On June 15, […]
Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael […]
Don’t try this at home. You wouldn’t do well in prison. 5. Rosanne Cash – “Burn Down This Town” Cash paints a bleak, eerie picture with this song from Black Cadillac: “The hills are burnin’, fields turn to steel / The big house is haunted with what we don’t feel / All the streets are empty, no […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …