Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael [...]
Don’t try this at home. You wouldn’t do well in prison. 5. Rosanne Cash – “Burn Down This Town” Cash paints a bleak, eerie picture with this song from Black Cadillac: “The hills are burnin’, fields turn to steel / The big house is haunted with what we don’t feel / All the streets are empty, no [...]
Barry Gibb made his Grand Ole Opry debut this past Friday night. “I have dreamed of performing on the hallowed stage of the Opry since I was 12 years old. So this is a dream come true for me,” Gibb was quoted as saying. “There is no greater honor.” He and Ricky Skaggs played “When [...]
Patsy Cline HoF Exhibit Opens Next Month; Kenny Chesney Added to Farm Aid Lineup; New Mavericks Album Slated for 9/25 Release
New exhibit Patsy Cline: Crazy for Loving You will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on August 24. The opening weekend festivities will include a panel discussion with Cline’s husband and daughter as well as Harold Bradley, Jan Howard and George Hamilton IV. The exhibit will run through June 10, 2013. [...]
New Dwight Yoakam Album Out 9/18; Glen Campbell Cancels Australia and New Zealand Shows; Free Paul Thorn EP
Dwight Yoakam’s got some big news: a new album, 3 Pears, coming out on Warner Bros. Records September 18. Yoakam worked on the album with Beck, and recorded a few songs at Beck’s home studio. Glen Campbell canceled his Australia and New Zealand tour dates. So Robert Plant and Patty Griffin didn’t actually elope; his [...]
With his rough-hewn voice and knack for storytelling, singer-songwriter Paul Thorn is one of the most talented and entertaining artists on the roots music scene, delivering bluesy country-rock that’s often based on life lessons learned from the two most influential figures in his life: his father, a preacher, and his uncle, a pimp. The Mississippi [...]
May was a good month for fans of country and roots music, with new albums from folks like Sara Watkins, The Brothers Comatose, Loafers’ Glory, and others. Here are my five favorite records of the past month. What are yours? 5. The Two Man Gentlemen Band – Two at a Time Influenced by prewar jazz [...]
“Coat of Many Colors” Selected for National Recording Registry; Rhonda Vincent to Release Live Gospel Album; Free ATO Records Sampler
Dolly Parton’s “Coat of Many Colors” will be inducted into the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. T-Model Ford has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke. Saving Country Music has information on where to donate to help with Ford’s expenses. Due out July 10: new Hank Jr. record Old School, New Rules. The album will [...]
Aldean/Clarkson Duet Goes Double Platinum; Free Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers Download; ACMs Net 21 Million Viewers
Listen to “My Father’s Advice,” the Rodney Crowell and Kris Kristofferson collaboration from Kin: Songs by Mary Karr & Rodney Crowell. The Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson duet “Don’t You Wanna Stay” has gone double platinum. Check out Song to Soul, a documentary about The Band produced for Japanese television. CMT’s Craig Shelburne interviewed Dustin Lynch. An [...]
Everett Lilly Passes Away; Elizabeth Cook Records Gospel EP; Ralph Emery Inducted Into Tenn. Radio Hall of Fame
Everett Lilly (The Lilly Brothers) passed away at the age of 87. Lionel Richie’s Tuskegee has been certified platinum. Due out June 19: Ruby Jane’s Celebrity (Empire of Emptiness). Yesterday evening, Elizabeth Cook tweeted “Can’t believe Im sayin this, but I’m in RCA studio Making a Gospel EP! Holy hell.” Ralph Emery was inducted into the [...]
- Barry Mazor: The assumption that everybody would be signed if only they could be no longer is necessarily so..Given the relatively much ...
- Luckyoldsun: Can't say I necessarily know who is or isn't signed, but I have no knowledge that any of the following ...
- Occasional Hope: Is Patty Loveless free now, since she's implied she doesn't seem to have any plans to record again, but perhaps ...
- Arlene: Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison's current terrific album, Cheater's Game, was financed via Kickstarter. If they are still unsigned, they'd ...
- KC: My picks seem to be doing ok without a label, but I would sign them even if it was just ...
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...
- Ken Morton, Jr.: BTW- Julie's been in the recording studio all this past week and will be unveiling something new soon.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jonathan, I actually had this exact conversation with Julie Roberts a couple weeks ago. She came out with Emily West, ...
- Jack Williams: The first name that came to my mind was electic bluesman Alvin Youngblood Hart. He hasn't released a proper ...