Loretta Lynn signed a multi-album deal with Legacy Recordings. The first album is slated for release in 2015. Lynn has been working with daughter Patsy L. Russell and John Carter Cash at the Cash Cabin Studio “on a project that travels back and explores Loretta’s musical history, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music […]
Ranger Doug reads more than you, is bored to tears by Gertrude Stein. Little Big Town unveiled the cover of their next album and announced several dates on their “Pain Killer Tour.” Read the introduction to Steve Lowenthal’s Dance of Death, a biography of John Fahey. Jason Isbell, Rodney Crowell, Valerie June, St. Paul & The Broken […]
The nominees for the 2014 Americana Honors & Awards were named yesterday (check our Facebook page later today for Barry Mazor’s exclusive photos from yesterday’s announcement shindig): Album of the Year: Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones, Robert Ellis – The Lights from the Chemical Plant, Rosanne Cash – The River and the […]
Stringbean’s Murderer Up for Parole; CMHOF to Open Kenny Rogers Exhibit; Jeff Austin Leaves Yonder Mountain String Band
John A. Brown, one of the men convicted of murdering “Stringbean” and Estelle Akeman, is up for parole. It could take up to two weeks for the board to announce an official decision; Brown’s previous parole requests have been denied. Mental Floss wants you to learn twelve facts about Dollywood. Here are two: the park […]
George Strait’s Farewell Tour Grosses $72M; Carolyn Martin to Release Milton Brown Tribute Album; New Sturgill Simpson Video
Dolly Parton has a work ethic that artists half her age could learn from. At 68, her days are jam-packed doing interviews, shooting music videos, and being delightful. I am exhausted just reading about her schedule. George Strait’s farewell tour is raking in the cash, grossing more than $72 million since January 2013. A few […]
Today is Pi Day, and while we’re not that great at math here at E145, we do like made-up nerd holidays that encourage the consumption of the world’s greatest food: pie. It can be sweet, it can be savory, and the presence of fruit can let you pretend that you are eating something healthy, when […]
Emmylou’s Wrecking Ball Gets Deluxe Reissue; Dierks Bentley Documentary Due 2/22; New Album Releases
Nonesuch Records will release a three-disc (including a documentary DVD) expanded version of Emmylou Harris’ 1995 album Wrecking Ball on April 8. Harris also announced she and Daniel Lanois will be touring this spring to celebrate this reissue. The Tennessean‘s Nate Rau reports that, “Under current copyright law, songs recorded prior to Feb. 15, 1972, […]
Haggard, Nelson, Kristofferson & Shelton to Perform at Grammys; Chuck Mead Signs with Plowboy; Isbell Releases New Music Videos
Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, and…Blake Shelton will perform together at the Grammy Awards next month. First Baptist Church in Mt. Pleasant, Texas is holding a memorial service for Ray Price on Saturday afternoon. Fellow Pennsylvanians might dig this brief article about Price’s place in the Lehigh Valley country music scene. Remember last week […]
Lucinda Williams Scheduled for Reissue; George Strait Adds Guests to Final Concert; BeauSoleil to Appear on Treme
Nelson Larkin, a songwriter, producer, and music publisher, passed away on Monday at the age of 70. Lucinda Williams’ self-titled, 1988 Rough Trade album will be reissued on January 14; the two-disc set will include remastered original recordings and a number of bonus tracks. There’s a new PledgeMusic campaign where contributors will be able to […]
Stream There Will be Nights When I’m Lonely, the new album from one-man band Possessed by Paul James, at Saving Country Music. Mandy Barnett will release I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson, through Cracker Barrel on November 11. Tracks include “Sweet Dreams,” “Oh, Lonesome Me,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.” […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...