Lucinda Williams Scheduled for Reissue; George Strait Adds Guests to Final Concert; BeauSoleil to Appear on Treme
Nelson Larkin, a songwriter, producer, and music publisher, passed away on Monday at the age of 70. Lucinda Williams’ self-titled, 1988 Rough Trade album will be reissued on January 14; the two-disc set will include remastered original recordings and a number of bonus tracks. There’s a new PledgeMusic campaign where contributors will be able to […]
Stream There Will be Nights When I’m Lonely, the new album from one-man band Possessed by Paul James, at Saving Country Music. Mandy Barnett will release I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson, through Cracker Barrel on November 11. Tracks include “Sweet Dreams,” “Oh, Lonesome Me,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.” […]
ABC to Broadcast Nashville Documentary; Skaggs & Hornsby Play Conan; Free St. Paul & The Broken Bones Download
Here are some videos from The Avett Brothers, Julie Roberts, and The Quiet Life. Ty Herndon’s got a new single. Download a St. Paul and the Broken Bones EP on NoiseTrade. Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby were on Conan last night. Phyllis Stark (Billboard) writes that country music’s dearth of women extends beyond the charts; […]
Black River Signs Clear Channel Partnership; Sammy Kershaw Re-Records Hits; Stream Skaggs’ Soldier Song
Graham Nash was recently interviewed by NPR’s Terry Gross. Listen here. Stream Ricky Skaggs’ take on “Two Soldiers” from upcoming Civil War compilation Divided & United. Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Tim McGraw, Florida Georgia Line, and Hunter Hayes have been named the CMT Artists of the Year. They’ll be honored during a live, 90-minute television […]
Opry Plans Birthday Bash; The Band Perry & Fall Out Boy Tape CMT Crossroads Episode; Country Radio Hall of Fame Inductees Named
The Opry’s birthday celebration on October 4-5 will include a concert by Steve Wariner. Also, there will be cake (not for you). A new episode of CMT Crossroads starring The Band Perry and Fall Out Boy will premiere November 29. In need of a good cry? The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog premiered “Top of […]
2013 has already been a fantastic year for women in country and Americana music, and it doesn’t look like that trend is slowing any time soon, as 22-year old Logan Brill serves up rootsy pop along the lines of The Wreckers, Brandi Carlile or Sheryl Crow on her new album, Walking Wires. The record is […]
Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release) Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter. You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if […]
Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
The winners of last night’s Americana Awards: Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell Trailblazer Award: Old […]
Patty Griffin Announces Fall Tour; Alan Jackson to Play Carnegie Hall; Musicians Hall of Fame Reopens This Week
Patty Griffin announced some fall tour dates. On the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, USA Today put together a playlist of songs with ties to that historic day. Nashville’s Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum is reopening for the first time in more than three years. It’s in a new location now: the Nashville […]
Randy Travis Discharged from Hospital; “Lost” Patty Griffin Album Due in October; Stream Cale Tyson, Amanda Shires Records
Randy Travis was discharged from Baylor Heart Hospital yesterday and relocated to a physical therapy facility to continue his recovery. (via press release) Patty Griffin’s 2000 “lost album,” Silver Bell, will be released October 8. From American Songwriter: “The all-original songs spent about 13 years in catalog limbo, due in large part to a change […]
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !
- Janice Brooks: The Kenny and Amanda Smith track is in rotation her. Hoping for a promo from Brennen and Noel.
- SunsetPark: www.dictionary.com today has "5 Famous Words of Country Music" on their front page. It includes honky-tonk (with a reference …
- BRUCE: Florida Georgia Line, Hunter Hayes, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. These are the CMT Artists of the Year? Folks, it's …
- Janice Brooks: I'm happy with the Grammy list as usual. Don't overlook the Doc Watson album. As far as Bonnie R's …
- BRUCE: I missed no point whatsoever. Please re-read. By-the=way, I didn't miss the point about their positive review. However, I rarely …
- Luckyoldsun: Bruce, And I was making the broader point that you're missing the forest for the trees. A widely read national web publication …
- bruce: Lucky, Please revisit my comment. I said nothing about their review of the album but only their comment about the …