Second Round of ACM Awards Performers Announced; Della Mae Selected for State Department’s American Music Abroad; Album Releases
Pam Tillis was a guest judge on RuPaul’s Drag Race last night. The full episode, called “Dragazines,” can be streamed here. Darrell Scott considers “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry,” “To Live’s to Fly,” and “Sunday Morning Coming Down” to be “perfect songs.” Here’s a feature on Echo Mountain, the Asheville, North Carolina recording studio […]
Swift and Aldean to Perform at Grammys; New Music From Kathleen Edwards, Moot Davis and Angela Easterling
How does Dolly Parton manage to escape fashion criticism? The folks at Jezebel have an idea: [S]he’s so fantastic that the peanut gallery cannot find it within themselves to hate on her. Nobody wants to genuinely critique or criticize Dolly Parton because she’s universally loved for her unabashed tackiness. She rolls around in sequins, embellished […]
IBMA Awards Nominees Announced; Opry to Host George Jones Birthday Celebration; Brad Paisley and Ronnie Wood Rock Out
The Boxcarsare the band to beat at the IBMA Awards, earning nine nominations last night. George Shuffler and Del McCoury were also announced as the newest Bluegrass Hall of Fame inductees. The full list of nominees is here. Have no fear if you haven’t heard some of those albums and songs up for awards: tomorrow […]
Dolly Parton talks fashion with some bloggers. Sadly, none of those bloggers are us. Different strokes for two of New England’s biggest folk festivals. A lovely tribute to America’s Dan Peek, who passed away on the 24th. Here’s a pretty cool video about banjo pickin’ prosecutor Jim Gabeheart. Miss Leslie and Her Juke-Jointers are currently […]
If you want to start a heated discussion among a bunch of devoted country music fans or music makers, no matter what stripe, style, or era of country music they call their own, bring up the question of today’s mainstream country radio. You’re certain to hear some railing from somebody about a longstanding set of […]
On her first radio tour in two years, momentum has been interrupted by the monster winter storm that hit most of the lower 48 states. Country artist Star De Azlan got turned around in Philly, barely catching a flight, and came back home to Texas to wait it out–only to be affected once again by […]
UMG Donates 200,000 Songs to Library of Congress; Gurf Morlix Covers Blaze Foley; Country Music Sales Down In 2010
Universal Music Group is donating some 200,000 vintage master recordings to the Library of Congress for preservation and digitizing, the majority of which is out of print. UMG is holding on to the copyrights though, which will still allow the company to commercially release the best stuff once it’s cleaned up and sorted through. “Hopefully,” […]
Being related to a famous country entertainer can be a mixed blessing. Although the family ties can open doors for the aspiring singer, they can also serve to set unrealistic expectations. Just ask Roy Acuff Jr., Ronnie Robbins (billed as Marty Robbins, Jr.), The Lynns (daughters of Loretta Lynn), Riley Coyle (daughter of Jeannie C. […]
Three years ago, Hank Cochran was chosen as the inaugural guest for the Country Music Hall of Fame’s “Poets and Prophets” series, a program designed to highlight the careers of the genre’s best writers. Leading up to that guest spot, Cochran appeared on WSM with Eddie Stubbs to tell the stories behind some of his […]
“I figure we live in two worlds – public and private. It seems like I’ve got to prove myself in both all the time. I’ve got to climb mountains right to the top and then find new ones to climb. Whenever I finish writing a song, I always ask myself, ‘Well, Stutterin’ Boy, is that […]
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …
- chris: That voice singing with Jim Ed is younger sister Bonnie, also a member of the Browns.