New Guy Clark, Bill Kirchen Albums Due This Summer; Rita MacNeil Passes Away; Wheelhouse Debuts at No. 1
Canadian folk and country singer Rita MacNeil passed away on April 16 at the age of 68. Guy Clark’s next album, My Favorite Picture of You, will be released July 23. It’s his first studio album in four years. Bill Kirchen’s got a new record coming out this summer as well. Seeds and Stems will […]
This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix features Gibson Brothers, Roger Knox, The Mavericks, and more. Download it here. Check out “The Feud,” a new Hellbound Glory single. Ain’t in It for My Health: A Film About Levon Helm will premiere at Cinema Village in New York on April 19 before showing in select […]
Museum of Broadcast Communications to Celebrate National Barn Dance; Ron Davies Tribute Record Due in March; Album Releases
Garth Brooks, Shelby Lynne, and The Oak Ridge Boys have been added to the list of artists who will appear George Jones’ final Nashville concert. On March 23, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will “celebrate the 89th anniversary of The National Barn Dance radio show in the actual historic WLS studio…The special event will feature […]
Dobro whiz Mike Auldridge passed away on December 29, a day before his 74th birthday. Here are obituaries from the Washington Post, MusicRow.com, The New York Times, and Bluegrass Today (which also posted a career overview). Eric Brace remembers Auldridge. As does Peter Cooper. CMT’s Edward Morris lists the “notable country music deaths” of 2012. […]
Matraca Berg’s new album, Love’s Truck Stop, is getting good reviews across the pond. The second annual Red River Songwriters Festival will be held January 24-26 in Red River, New Mexico. Artists scheduled to perform include Ray Wylie Hubbard, Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, and more. Listen to new Junior Brown song, “Hang Up and Drive.” […]
Rockabilly artist Nick Curran passed away at the age of 35 after a battle with oral cancer. The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Dinner and Induction Ceremony was held on Sunday night. Honorees included Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tony Arata, Larry Henley, and Kim Williams. Edward Morris recapped the event for CMT. Kellie Pickler signed with […]
Banjo Symposium Coming to UNC-Chapel Hill; Taylor Swift Breaks Digital Sales Record; New Videos from The Flatlanders, Drew Kennedy
Ray Price is working on a new album, reports Markos Papadatos. Here’s the new video for Drew Kennedy’s “Stars in California.” And a video from The Onion: “Country Artist Sings About Real America and Its Meth Addicts.” There’s a neat article on IndyWeek.com about this weekend’s banjo symposium at UNC-Chapel Hill. Joy Kills Sorrow’s “Jason” […]
New Whitney Duncan Album In Works; Miley Cyrus Has Death Threats and Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver Announce Gospel Album
Whitney Duncan, fresh off her Survivor experience, has taken to Kickstarter to help raise funds for a new album called Where The Back Roads Run. “This is so fun for me, because I can make the record I want to make! I really hope ya’ll are as excited about this project as I am…it was […]
Taylor Swift took home the most hardware (again) last night at the American Music Awards. She won for Favorite Country Female Artist, Favorite Country Album and then took home the night’s biggest prize with the all-genre Favorite Artist. Blake Shelton was Favorite Country Male Artist and Lady Antebellum was Favorite Country Duo/Group. Danny Gokey lost […]
The Mavericks Reunite; ACM Brings Back Songwriter of the Year Award; The Rise of Pentecostal Rural Tarts
The Mavericks (Raul Malo, Robert Reynolds, and Paul Deakin) will reunite in April 2012 at the Stagecoach Festival in California. Following Stagecoach, they plan to tour North America and Europe. “Waiting For a Train,” “Devil Woman,” and “Give It Away” all make Merle Haggard’s list of ten songs he wishes he’d written. Radley Balko of […]
- Jack WIlliams: Well, he says he's a classic honky tonk fan and apparently "had to" make a honky tonk album, but then …
- Leeann: I was disappointed to read JTE's take on country music too. I agree with the part about current country music, …
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …