Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison will release their second duets album, Our Year, on May 27. The 10-song record will include their fantastic version of “Harper Valley P.T.A.” as well as a take on “I’ll Go to My Grave Loving You.” John Cowan has signed with Compass Records; his next album will be released early […]
OCMS Added to MerleFest Lineup; Musgraves to Perform at Grammys; CMA Songwriters Series Heads to Sundance
Old Crow Medicine Show was added to the MerleFest 2014 lineup. (via press release) Billboard is celebrating the 70th birthday of the Hot Country Songs chart with a look back at the chart’s top songs and artists. Bitch premiered the video for Caitlin Cary and musician/poet Shirlette Emmons’ “My Body Politic.” The Australian published a […]
On December 7, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Buck Owens and The Buckaroos with a trio of special programs: a panel discussion (“The Buckaroos: Making Music with Buck Owens”), a book talk (about Buck ‘Em, Owens’ posthumous autobiography co-authored with Randy Poe), and a concert featuring Buddy Alan Owens, current […]
Prine Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Ralph and Nathan Stanley Plan Gospel Release; Nicki Bluhm Plays Conan
John Prine was diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors caught it early and Prine will undergo surgery next month (his mid-December shows in Louisville have been postponed). Ronnie Dunn’s got a new video for “Kiss You There.” The Infamous Stringdusters have a new video too. Here’s “Night on the River.” Ronnie Fauss released a video for […]
Nickel Creek Reunites, Records New Album; George Strait Honored with Billboard Touring Award; American Country Awards Performers Announced
A George Jones monument will be unveiled at the Woodlawn Roesch-Patton Funeral Home and Memorial Park in Nashville on Monday afternoon. The event will be open to the public. George Strait was named the 2013 Legend of Live at last night’s Billboard Touring Awards in NYC. Taylor Swift’s Red Tour was named the Top Package […]
Stream There Will be Nights When I’m Lonely, the new album from one-man band Possessed by Paul James, at Saving Country Music. Mandy Barnett will release I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson, through Cracker Barrel on November 11. Tracks include “Sweet Dreams,” “Oh, Lonesome Me,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.” […]
Preview New Randy Travis Album; T Bone Burnett to Receive Maestro Award; James King Plans Sept. 30 Album Release
Old Crow Medicine Show was officially inducted into the Opry last night. If you don’t have New Year’s Eve plans, the band is scheduled to play the Ryman December 30-31. Preview Randy Travis’ new album, Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am. Barry Mazor writes about Americana for The Wall Street Journal. The annual awards […]
Richie Havens, the artist who opened Woodstock, passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack. He was 72. Here’s the New York Times obituary. Glen Campbell has stopped touring due to the progression of his Alzheimer’s. However, he will release an album this summer. See You There will feature “reimagined versions of hits like ‘Wichita Lineman,’ ‘By […]
Canada’s 2013 Juno Awards Ceremony was held over the weekend. k.d. lang was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and several country/Americana/roots bands took home trophies: International Album of the Year – Mumford & Sons, Babel Artist of the Year – Leonard Cohen Country Album of the Year – Johnny Reid, Fire It Up Aboriginal Album of the […]
I’ve been traveling through the intersection of Roots and Pop for, well, a long time now, but the artists who speed right through the yellow and red lights have never stopped grabbing my attention. Are they doing that on purpose? By accident? Unaware there’s an intersection–even if it’s a backed-up, jammed up intersection? Or maybe […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …