No Justice is calling it quits after 12 years. The Red Dirt band will play its last shows in late October. George Strait is expected to announce his final tour dates at a press conference (which will be streamed on his website) Monday at noon EDT. On Sunday, Strait will serve as an honorary Dallas […]
After achieving regional success in Texas and Oklahoma, alt-country band No Justice makes a go at national notoriety with an intensity that manifests itself throughout 2nd Avenue, its first play for mainstream success on Dallas-based Carved Records. That fire is apparent across the album’s sonic variety, underlined by lead singer Steve Rice’s talent for bending […]
5. “Bend But Don’t Break” – No Justice This Oklahoma alt-country quintet offers up some important life lessons: “Bend but don’t break/Give before you take/Always look ‘em right in the eye.” Also, put your underpants on before your trousers. That’s not one of the lyrics, but I think it’s good advice. 4. “Another Bender Might […]
Charlie Louvin will turn 83 tomorrow (July 7), but of more pressing concern to the country legend is the recent diagnosis from his doctor–stage 2 pancreatic cancer. He’ll have to go in for a six-hour surgery on July 22, but hopes to be performing a month later. New releases for the week of July 6, […]
Three more album reviews from releases this past Tuesday. Three different styles, two good, one not so much. No Justice hails from Stillwater, OK and made quite a splash in the Red Dirt music scene when their debut album hit about this time last year. They recently released (Tuesday) their sophomore effort titled Far From […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."