This week’s Friday Five is inspired by a song that was mentioned in Ralph Stanley’s autobiography Man of Constant Sorrow: Cager Farler’s “There’ll Be No Hippies in Heaven.” (Really, Cager? Not even that longhaired dude in sandals?) So what else isn’t in heaven? Let’s find out. 5. “No Lawyers in Heaven” – Ray Stevens If […]
I’ve been listening to country music–not just hearing it in the background, but, as well as I know how, listening to it–for close to 45 years, and writing about it in various public places, off and on, for about 35. The publications and online outlets that have chosen to publish what I’ve reported and observed […]
Equally influenced by Patsy Cline and Radiohead, Brandi Carlile blends country, pop, folk, and rock and counts Elton John as one of her fans. At only 28 years old, she’s already worked with the likes of T Bone Burnett and Rick Rubin, who produced her third full length album, 2009′s Give Up the Ghost. Written […]
Asleep At The Wheel Wins Lifetime Achievement Award; Is Merle Haggard Greatest Living American Songwriter?
Asleep at the Wheel will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award for Performance at the Americana Awards in Nashville on Sept. 17. LeAnn Rimes left the audience confused last Thursday when she took an intermission after just two songs — “Crazy” and “Blue.” Despite the confusion, The Washington Post‘s Dave McKenna says Rimes hit notes for […]
With “I Told You So,” Carrie Underwood became the first country artist in history ever to achieve 10 No. 1 singles on the strength of their first two albums. New releases for the week of May 12, 2009 include: Alecia Nugent – Hillbilly Goddess Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Amazing Rhythm Aces – Very Best […]
The reporters and editors who craft headline banners atop newspapers and magazines across the country have been making the front pages themselves over the last few months–and between layoffs, furloughs and shut-downs at newspapers, magazines and television stations across the country, these aren’t fluffy, feel-good feature stories. It’s no surprise, then, country music news outlets […]
In a letter posted to its website Friday, Publisher Kyla Fairchild announced that the web incarnation of Americana magazine No Depression has ceased editorial operations, citing a lack of revenue. “While traffic to the website has been great and the response positive, we have determined that it is impossible to bring in enough revenue to […]
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …