As Elton John and Bernie Taupin can testify, a strong partnership between a musician and a lyricist can be worth its weight in platinum. So when singer Martha Redbone began to work on material for a new album, she decided to collaborate with one of the best writers to ever put pen to paper: Romantic […]
In non-internet life, our friend Kevin Coyne of Country Universe is an elementary school principal in the Rockaways, an area heavily hit by Hurricane Sandy. Many of his teachers, students, and staff were affected by the storm. Here’s how you can help if you’re so inclined. Thanks. Pandora sued ASCAP. Bloomberg.com reports: Pandora, which is […]
Sam McDonald interviewed Emmylou Harris for the Daily Press. Barry Mazor interviewed Dwight Yoakam about his new record, 3 Pears, for the Wall Street Journal. Peter Cooper also spoke with Yoakam for a Tennessean feature. The Wall Street Journal also featured an article on the Americana compilation Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe, which […]
William Weir asks why people don’t sing about disease like they used to: Songs about sickness are fewer these days, and you rarely get the level of detail that singers once delved into about their symptoms. Today, when a song is about illness, it’s a good bet that the ailment in question is actually a […]
This past Friday night, the Oak Ridge Boys were invited to become the newest members of the Grand Ole Opry in fine Little Jimmy Dickens fashion. After the Oak Ridge Boys performed “Y’All Come Back Saloon,” Dickens walked out onstage dressed as a sub-five-foot William Lee Golden with long beard and sunglasses. “All my life […]
Don Williams to Perform Limited Number of Dates; New Album Releases; CMA Music Fest Attendance Booms
Soon-to-be-Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams is coming out of retirement for a limited number of concert dates in the fall. Garth Brooks, now out of his own retirement, announced new dates for September, October, and November. New releases for the week of June 15, 2010 include: The Blue Shadows – On The Floor […]
“Life is made up of marble and mud.” — Nathaniel Hawthorne OK, minds out of the gutter everybody–it’s not that kind of getting dirty. We’re talking about mud. You know the kind. It’s the stuff you made pies out of as a kid. It’s the stuff that you pay insanely exorbitant prices to bath in […]
Bonnaroo certainly could have done worse with its lineup, here’s a selection of the more country-leaning acts: John Fogerty, Zac Brown Band, John Prine, Steve Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers, Jamey Johnson, Kris Kristofferson, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Miranda Lambert, Cross Canadian Ragweed, and Carolina Chocolate Drops. Nathan Rabin summarizes Kris Kristofferson‘s inexcusably […]
Here’s full alphabetized (by first name) list of the interviews conducted by The 9513 in 2009. Amy Dalley Ashley Monroe Barbara Mandrell Big Kenny Billy Ray Cyrus Bryan White Caitlin & Will Charlie Daniels Charlie Louvin Collin Raye Corb Lund Darryl Worley David Lee Murphy David Nail Dolly Parton Eddie Montgomery Eric Church Gene Watson […]
One of country music’s most beloved vocalists, the daughter of an icon, a 30-year mainstay of country radio and an unheralded young woman from Florida are among the artists to land in the third installment of our countdown of the decade’s top country albums. Mix in some family-band bluegrass, some honky-tonk, and a few surprises, […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …