In non-internet life, our friend Kevin Coyne of Country Universe is an elementary school principal in the Rockaways, an area heavily hit by Hurricane Sandy. Many of his teachers, students, and staff were affected by the storm. Here’s how you can help if you’re so inclined. Thanks. Pandora sued ASCAP. Bloomberg.com reports: Pandora, which is […]
Sam McDonald interviewed Emmylou Harris for the Daily Press. Barry Mazor interviewed Dwight Yoakam about his new record, 3 Pears, for the Wall Street Journal. Peter Cooper also spoke with Yoakam for a Tennessean feature. The Wall Street Journal also featured an article on the Americana compilation Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe, which […]
William Weir asks why people don’t sing about disease like they used to: Songs about sickness are fewer these days, and you rarely get the level of detail that singers once delved into about their symptoms. Today, when a song is about illness, it’s a good bet that the ailment in question is actually a […]
This past Friday night, the Oak Ridge Boys were invited to become the newest members of the Grand Ole Opry in fine Little Jimmy Dickens fashion. After the Oak Ridge Boys performed “Y’All Come Back Saloon,” Dickens walked out onstage dressed as a sub-five-foot William Lee Golden with long beard and sunglasses. “All my life […]
Don Williams to Perform Limited Number of Dates; New Album Releases; CMA Music Fest Attendance Booms
Soon-to-be-Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams is coming out of retirement for a limited number of concert dates in the fall. Garth Brooks, now out of his own retirement, announced new dates for September, October, and November. New releases for the week of June 15, 2010 include: The Blue Shadows – On The Floor […]
“Life is made up of marble and mud.” — Nathaniel Hawthorne OK, minds out of the gutter everybody–it’s not that kind of getting dirty. We’re talking about mud. You know the kind. It’s the stuff you made pies out of as a kid. It’s the stuff that you pay insanely exorbitant prices to bath in […]
Bonnaroo certainly could have done worse with its lineup, here’s a selection of the more country-leaning acts: John Fogerty, Zac Brown Band, John Prine, Steve Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers, Jamey Johnson, Kris Kristofferson, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Miranda Lambert, Cross Canadian Ragweed, and Carolina Chocolate Drops. Nathan Rabin summarizes Kris Kristofferson‘s inexcusably […]
Here’s full alphabetized (by first name) list of the interviews conducted by The 9513 in 2009. Amy Dalley Ashley Monroe Barbara Mandrell Big Kenny Billy Ray Cyrus Bryan White Caitlin & Will Charlie Daniels Charlie Louvin Collin Raye Corb Lund Darryl Worley David Lee Murphy David Nail Dolly Parton Eddie Montgomery Eric Church Gene Watson […]
One of country music’s most beloved vocalists, the daughter of an icon, a 30-year mainstay of country radio and an unheralded young woman from Florida are among the artists to land in the third installment of our countdown of the decade’s top country albums. Mix in some family-band bluegrass, some honky-tonk, and a few surprises, […]
I’m no cardiologist, but I’ve always thought old heartaches were the worst kind, festering like some sort of flesh wound turned gangrenous. However, these artists make a good case for the sharp pain of the new heartache. You know, should you ever find yourself in a heated debate over the subject. 5. “Brand New Heartache” […]
- luckyoldsun: Actually, it strikes me as a rather iffy subject for a museum. What kind of exhibits would they have? Jones …
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!