Nell Robinson’s family has fought in nearly every American conflict from the Revolution to the Iraq War. Working with producer Joe Henry and guests Kris Kristofferson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, John Doe, and noted author Maxine Hong Kingston, Robinson tells the story of her family’s service in her new album, Nell Robinson & The Rose of No-Man’s Land, a collection […]
Garth Launches GhostTunes; “Two Black Cadillacs” to Become Miniseries; Bryan Sutton Releases New Video
Garth Brooks has launched GhostTunes, a streaming and download service that’s an alternative to iTunes and other digital music services. From The L.A. Times: “Brooks’ beef with iTunes is that it is grounded in selling singles, while Brooks says he wants his music sold as complete albums to protect the songwriters and music publishers who […]
Lorene Mann passed away on May 24 at the age of 76. Mann was a co-founder of the Nashville Songwriters Association International; she also wrote “Left to Right,” “My Wife’s House,” and other hits. Marshall Lytle, bassist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. The SteelDrivers played Mountain […]
Johnny Cash Museum Plans 5/30 Grand Opening; Trisha Yearwood Performs at White House Event Honoring Carole King; Harrianne Condra Passes Away
Darius Rucker’s version of “Wagon Wheel” has been certified platinum. Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise” has gone triple platinum, and Taylor Swift’s “Mean” is now double platinum. Sierra Hull visited the WAMU Bluegrass Country studios to play “I’ll Be Fine,” a cut from her upcoming album. Roots rock band Mount Moriah was on the World Café. […]
Library of Congress Adds to National Recording Registry; George Strait & Garth Brooks to Perform Together at ACM Awards; Iris DeMent on Mountain Stage
Here’s a fine New York Times feature on the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. An excerpt: At a time when the troubled economy is causing many museums to pull back, the hall is blasting ahead with an expansion that will more than double its size to 350,000 square feet. It has raised $71.6 […]
Claude King Passes Away; Patty Griffin’s Next Album Due in May; USA Today Premieres New Kim Richey Song
Claude King, best known for “Wolverton Mountain,” passed away yesterday morning at the age of 90. Japanese bluegrasser Maro Kawabata passed away earlier this week at the age of 51. Patty Griffin will release her next record, American Kid, on May 7. It’ll be her first album for New West Records. What’s new at the […]
California roots artist Nell Robinson is back in the studio recording a highly personal album dedicated to her family and military: “I am so honored, next week, Gaynell Rogers, my manager, and Jim and I drive to Pasadena to work with musician and producer Joe Henry to record an album of Soldier Stories. This project […]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are […]
Back in the caveman days, stories told from your ancestors were painted on cavern walls. Thousands of years later, things were handed down by stone tablet. Native Americans passed them down by word of mouth and Johannes Gutenberg made it easier to do on paper. But for bluegrass/Americana artist Nell Robinson, stories are best recalled […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.