Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael […]
Americana Music Award Winners Announced; Bearfoot Undergoes Lineup Changes; Stream New Dwight Yoakam Song
Here are the winners of last night’s Americana Music Awards and Honors: Instrumentalist of the Year: Dave Rawlings Album of the Year: This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark; produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp Song Of The Year Award : “Alabama Pines;” Written by Jason Isbell and performed by Jason Isbell […]
CMT launched a roots blog called CMT Edge. Give a listen to “It’s Never Alright” from Dwight Yoakam’s new album, 3 Pears. The song was co-written with Ashley Monroe, and is the first of five new Yoakam songs that will debut this week. The late Donna Hilley will be honored with the 2012 Frances Williams […]
Tom T. Hall to Receive BMI Icon Award; Keith Urban Reportedly Inks American Idol Deal; New Music Videos
It looks like Keith Urban will be joining Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj as an American Idol judge. Randy Travis can’t seem to stay out of the news lately. A truck of his was found smashed up and overturned not far from his Frisco, Texas ranch. In other news, his current girlfriend’s ex has filed paperwork to […]
Ricky Skaggs to Be Inducted into Gospel Music HoF; Dierks Bentley Will Play Sept. CMA Songwriters Series; Miss Leslie Lauches Kickstarter
Randy Travis’ misadventures allegedly began earlier in the evening when he entered a convenience store “butt naked and demanding cigarettes.” Farce the Music collected a bunch of Randy Travis parody song titles. Brian T. Atkinson of the Austin American-Statesman interviewed Vince Gill. Here’s an excerpt in which Gill discusses whether he’s mastered the guitar: There’s always […]
Neil Young and Crazy Horse premiered six new songs at their recent Albuquerque show. On October 16, Big Machine will release a Christmas compilation album that will benefit the Special Olympics. Check out “How Do You Ruin Me,” a new song from Americana group Black Prairie. Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson have a new video for […]
Last week’s CMA Music Fest sold out for the third consecutive year. That includes the scores of people treated for heatstroke. The fantastic, four-part BBC country music documentary Lost Highway is now available on YouTube. Here’s Part I. Jewel unveiled her transformation into June Carter Cash for an upcoming Lifetime biopic. Late last night, there […]
Clear Channel and Big Machine Cut a Deal; New Willie Nelson Video; National Museum of American History Presents Civil War Music
Clear Channel and Big Machine cut a deal “that represents a major bet that radio’s future is online rather than over the air…Under the new accord, Big Machine and its artists will collect royalties when their songs are played on broadcast radio stations, something that has never been part of the U.S. royalty system but […]
CMT Music Awards Winners; Free Tift Merritt Download; Ernest Tubb Record Shops Celebrate 65th Anniversary
Thompson Square, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Scotty McCreery, and Lady Antebellum took home buckles at last night’s CMT Music Awards. Country California posted videos of the evening’s best performances by the Zac Brown Band, Pistol Annies, and a few others. Tift Merritt is offering a free download of an […]
The Band Perry Working with Rick Rubin; New Ryan Bingham Album Due Out 9/18; Neil Young and Crazy Horse Announce Tour
Out September 18: Ryan Bingham’s Tomorrowland. There’s an interesting Tennessean article on country music videos: Country music fans still tune in to music video channels Country Music Television (CMT) and Great American Country (GAC) to watch their favorite stars. However, in this on-demand culture and with television’s decreased airplay of music videos, more and more […]
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …