It’s easy, with the perpetual slow-trickle arrival of new country songs, singles and stars, to become fixated on the brand new and of-the-moment—as some publications, writers and fans do. Yet some level of recognizable continuity has been a basic element of the music from its beginnings. In country music, themes and sounds and performers are […]
If you haven’t had the pleasure yet, let me introduce you to Texas country singer’s Jason Eady’s better half, singer-songwriter Courtney Patton. The couple was married in late March of this year after a romance that was spawned by the very music they share as a passion together. Their nuptials came nearly a year after […]
The nominees for the 2014 Americana Honors & Awards were named yesterday (check our Facebook page later today for Barry Mazor’s exclusive photos from yesterday’s announcement shindig): Album of the Year: Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones, Robert Ellis – The Lights from the Chemical Plant, Rosanne Cash – The River and the […]
Shovels & Rope, Jason D. Williams Plan Summer Releases; CMT Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Album Releases
Shovels & Rope will release their sophomore album, Swimmin’ Time, on August 26 via Dualtone Records. (via press release) Watch Kacey Musgraves sing “Follow Your Arrow” at the GLAAD Media Awards. The 615 reports that country singer Julia Sheer is a viral phenomenon thanks in part to YouTube’s Country Now channel; she’s got 450,000+ subscribers. A different […]
Kevin Sharp passed away on Saturday night due to “ongoing complications from past stomach surgeries and digestive issues.” He was 43. I can speak from personal experience that there are few folks on the planet that had a stronger passion for childhood cancer advocacy. Long after his hits “Nobody Knows,” “She’s Sure Taking It Well,” […]
Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope. On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public. Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press […]
Real Gone to Release Bob Wills’ Tiffany Transcriptions; Secret Sisters’ Sophomore Album Due in April; Crazy Hearts: Nashville Canceled
On April 29, Real Gone Music will release the two-CD set Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys: Riding Your Way – The Lost Transcriptions for Tiffany Music, 1946-47. The label will also release a limited edition Wills LP on red vinyl for Record Store Day. Don Williams: “I’ve never cut a single. I don’t believe […]
Mel Tillis is recovering after undergoing “routine heart surgery” over the weekend. USAToday.com premiered songs by Rodney Crowell (“God, I’m Missing You”) and Don Williams (“Sing Me Back Home”). Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Allen Toussaint, and more will salute Dr. John at a tribute concert scheduled for May 3 in […]
Loretta Lynn Fights House Fire (She’s Okay); The Mavericks Celebrate 25 Years with Spring Tour; Stream New Drive-By Truckers Album
There was a small fire at Loretta Lynn’s house yesterday when a lit candle fell onto a chair. Lynn sustained minor burns on her hands while using a pillow to put out the flames. Franny Beecher, guitarist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Monday at the age of 92. The Mavericks are […]
Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday. Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65. Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds […]
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …