It happens every week. Every Wednesday, when I post my variation of “Gone Fishing” on my Facebook page, announcing I am M-I-A because I will be facedown in ABC’s primetime drama, Nashville, the comments start piling up. About how the writing sucks, the plot blows, but especially, how dreadful the music is. I laugh. I’m not watching the […]
On her first radio tour in two years, momentum has been interrupted by the monster winter storm that hit most of the lower 48 states. Country artist Star De Azlan got turned around in Philly, barely catching a flight, and came back home to Texas to wait it out–only to be affected once again by […]
A few weeks ago I had the enormous pleasure of sharing the stage with two fantastic songwriters inside of a little bar in the downtown area of Bandera. This hill country hamlet in Texas is not much more than tiny speck on the map, as far as population goes. If map locations were demarcated by […]
After 50 years of fostering and honing the chops of singers and songwriters in Nashville, Tootsies finally got the celebration it deserves. Revered as a breeding ground for Nashville’s music machine, the venerable honky tonk on Lower Broadway simply teems with character and legend. And all of those who gathered to celebrate at the Ryman […]
No doubt Dean Brody is a gifted storyteller. The rising Canadian country music star proved his singing and songwriting readiness last year with three hit songs off his self-titled debut album on Broken Bow Records–all three broke the Top 10 at Canadian country radio. His smash “Brothers” peaked at #26 on the U.S. charts and […]
Listening to Cory Morrow’s new album, Brand New Me, one gets the impression of someone who’s gone through some troubled times, came out stronger on the other end and is indescribably grateful for making it through. That’s a fairly accurate description of Morrow’s last few years. In 2005, Morrow was arrested for drunk driving and […]
The journey that started four days ago certainly didn’t finish on a sour note. The final night of music at the Americana Music Festival was—again—full of talent, making for another difficult decision as to what to cover. Lo and behold, my intuition—and a diverse lineup—led me to the Cannery Ballroom and Mercy Lounge. Fairfield Four […]
Americana Music Festival goers didn’t even get a chance to settle down after a surprise 30-minute Robert Plant performance at the Awards Show before more showcases around town fired back up. Tonight’s venue of choice was the Mercy Lounge–where both Dale Watson and Wanda Jackson took the stage. For a guy who wrote tunes like […]
Songwriters: Jamey Johnson and Shane Minor Before he was appointed poster child for Music City’s mainstream anti-establishment, Jamey Johnson was one of many up-and-coming country artists lured by the publicity potential of reality television. Despite its short shelf life, Fox Network’s “docu-soap” Nashville–quite possibly the only thing Johnson and Chuck Wicks have in common–can claim […]
The movie screen image of “making it in Nashville” usually involves years of playing in a bar and a chance meeting with a record executive. But on Tuesday, Brad Paisley—speaking to a crowd of students at his alma mater, Belmont University—made it clear that the Hollywood route isn’t the realistic way to stardom. For Paisley, […]
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …