ACM New Artist of the Year Semifinalists Announced; Chris Eldridge Scores Silent Film; Stream Bluesman Leo Welch’s Debut Album
The Academy of Country Music named eight semifinalists for their New Artist of the Year Award: Lee Brice, Brett Eldredge, Tyler Farr, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Kacey Musgraves, Thomas Rhett, and Parmalee. The 2014 ACM Awards will be broadcast on CBS April 6. Punch Brother Chris Eldridge will provide the score for 1917 silent film […]
Martina McBride is back in the studio recording a new album that’s expected to come out in early 2014. Farm Aid was on Saturday; this year’s event featured surprise guest Pete Seeger. Read the Rolling Stone recap here. CMT Edge’s Chris Parton reported on Justin Townes Earle’s set at Nashville’s Downtown Presbyterian Church during last […]
Canada’s 2013 Juno Awards Ceremony was held over the weekend. k.d. lang was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and several country/Americana/roots bands took home trophies: International Album of the Year – Mumford & Sons, Babel Artist of the Year – Leonard Cohen Country Album of the Year – Johnny Reid, Fire It Up Aboriginal Album of the […]
Tift Merritt Collaborates with Classical Pianist Simone Dinnerstein; The Spinney Brothers’ Next Album Due in May; Album Releases
At this point, it would be easier to list who isn’t appearing at George Jones’ final Nashville concert. Billy Ray Cyrus, Don McLean, and Cyndi Lauper have all been added to the lineup, bringing the current total to 50+ musical guests. Chuck Dauphin of Billboard reviewed one of Randy Travis’ recent performances with the Nashville Symphony: […]
ACM Awards Nominees Announced; Alabama Plans 40th Anniversary Tour; Shooter Jennings Premieres New Song
The ACM Awards nominations were announced this morning (the full list of nominees can be found here): Songwriter of the Year Rodney Clawson Dallas Davidson Josh Kear Luke Laird Shane McAnally Entertainer of the Year Jason Aldean Luke Bryan Miranda Lambert Blake Shelton Taylor Swift Male Vocalist of the Year Jason Aldean Luke Bryan Eric […]
Taylor Swift kicked off the Grammy Awards last night with a performance of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” View the full list of award winners here. Album of the Year: Mumford and Sons – Babel Best Country Album: Zac Brown Band – Uncaged Best Country Song: “Blown Away,” written by Josh Kear & Chris […]
Mavis Staples, Zac Brown & More to Honor Levon Helm at Grammys; George Strait to Receive CRB Career Achievement Award; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Approved for Funding
Elton John, Mumford and Sons, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown, T Bone Burnett, and Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) will take part in a tribute to Levon Helm at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. The Birthplace of Country Music Museum, currently under construction in Bristol, Tenn. recently got approved for funding. $600,000 will be paid in installments […]
Stream Tracks from Kristofferson’s Feeling Mortal; Music City Roots Heads Down Under; Swift to Perform at Grammys
Stream tracks from Kris Kristofferson’s Feeling Mortal and enter Performing Songwriter’s CD giveaway. In case it aired past your bedtime last night, here’s video of Ray Wylie Hubbard’s Letterman performance. Brad Paisley says his next album, due out April 9, will be called Wheelhouse. NPR’s Ken Tucker praises the Nashville soundtrack. Taylor Swift and Mumford […]
More than 350 songs were on this year’s ballot. We cut the list to just our top 60, though it easily could have been a Top 100 countdown. What were your favorite songs of the past year? You can listen to a Spotify playlist of the available songs here. 60. Bucky Covington — “A Father’s […]
Iris DeMent Discusses Songwriting; Los Lobos Celebrates 40th Anniversary; Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside Announce 2013 Tour Dates
The HillBenders got you a present: it’s a grassed-up version of “Feliz Navidad.” Jim Caligiuri chats with Mike Cooley in this Austin Chronicle feature. Blurt posted video of singer-songwriter Caleb Caudle playing his song, “Tobacco Town.” Rolling Stone is streaming a couple tracks from the deluxe version of the Nashville soundtrack. Rolling Stone also has […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."