The 2014 Country Music Hall of Fame inductees are: Hank Cochran (Songwriter) Mac Wiseman (Veteran Era) Ronnie Milsap (Modern Era) Omnivore Recordings is holding a spring sale. Go get some music from Merle Haggard, Wanda Jackson, Buck Owens, Don Rich, and lots more. Noam Pikelny and Stuart Duncan are touring as a duo this summer. John Fullbright […]
Moot Davis’ new release, Goin’ in Hot (out tomorrow), is aptly titled: just days after mixing was completed, the studio in which he recorded the album burned down. Luckily, nobody was hurt in the blaze and the songs were able to be salvaged from the fire- and water-damaged studio. Goin’ in Hot, Davis’ fourth album, […]
I’ve got a slew of very worthwhile new roots music material to bring to your attention in this catch-up column, some recently released and some just about to come out, and I’ll just get right at it, by the batch: African-American women really mixing it up This is one ripe season for provocative, engaging new […]
Darrell Scott Releases Benefit Single; Merle Haggard Shares the Story Behind “Big City”; Nettles Tops Country Albums Chart
Merle Haggard shares the story behind “Big City” with The Wall Street Journal. Bob Wills’ former house, located at the Triple B Ranch in Fresno, got moved to Prather, where the Central California Music Association hopes to restore it for use as a centerpiece in a Wills-centric museum. Darrell Scott has released a single, “There’s a […]
Musgraves Tops Scene Poll; Detour Signs with Mountain Fever; Stream Uncle Tupelo’s No Depression: Legacy Edition
Kacey Musgraves topped the Nashville Scene Country Critics Poll. Read the full results here and the comments (which include quotes by Blake, David, Karlie, Ken, and Sam) here. Jesse McReynolds is recuperating after undergoing a minor cardiac procedure last week. In June, the Texas Heritage Songwriters’ Association will honor Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, and K.T. […]
Randy Travis is awake and recovering, but will remain in the hospital for at least another two to three weeks before transferring to another location for physical therapy, his doctors said in a video update. Check out the track listing and cover art for Steve Wariner’s It Ain’t All Bad (out September 10). Here’s a […]
Aldean/Clarkson Duet Goes Double Platinum; Free Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers Download; ACMs Net 21 Million Viewers
Listen to “My Father’s Advice,” the Rodney Crowell and Kris Kristofferson collaboration from Kin: Songs by Mary Karr & Rodney Crowell. The Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson duet “Don’t You Wanna Stay” has gone double platinum. Check out Song to Soul, a documentary about The Band produced for Japanese television. CMT’s Craig Shelburne interviewed Dustin Lynch. An […]
Keeping up with the sheer volume of new releases that might be of interest to people reading this column is always a challenge, practically impossible, and while I don’t plan to do it often, I figure that one way to play some catch-up here is just to line up some brief comments on recent releases […]
Sam Adams of the Philadelphia Inquirer reviewed a recent Hank 3 show. Forever Pete is a campaign to help Pete Seeger become the oldest musician to have a charting single. Check out a video of Seeger’s version of “Forever Young” on the campaign website. Jo Cox of More Than the Music interviewed Gretchen Peters. Here’s […]
Stream Darrell Scott Performance; Miranda Lambert and Rodney Atkins Help Disaster Relief Efforts; Moot Davis Album Giveaway
This evening at 6pm Eastern, stream a Darrell Scott interview and performance on WAMU’s Bluegrass Country. Todd Snider’s the subject of this Paste feature, which also reveals that [n]ext month Snider will be releasing Time as We Know It: The Songs of Jerry Jeff Walker, an album of Walker’s songs to celebrate his 70th birthday. […]
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.