The IBMA Award nominees were announced last night. The full list of nominations can be found here. Hall of Fame inductees: The Seldom Scene (original lineup), Neil Rosenberg Album of the Year: Junior Sisk & Joe Mullins – Hall of Fame Bluegrass; Del McCoury Band – Streets of Baltimore; Noam Pikelny – Noam Pikelny Plays […]
George Strait to Receive the Legend of Live Billboard Award; 52nd Annual Philly Folk Fest Begins; The Rise of Bro-Country
The 52nd annual Philadelphia Folk Festival begins today. Jewly Hight wrote the Nashville Scene’s new, engaging Reba cover story. It turns out that the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum got more Reba “artifacts” than they’ve ever received from anyone else, including high school report cards, shell casings, and unopened bags of Reba Fritos. […]
It seems like more people than ever are sporting tattoos; here are a few of my favorite country songs about ‘em (it must be said that an honorable mention goes to the opening lines of Lucinda Williams’ “Right in Time”). Are any of you sporting country music-themed ink? Show us your tats! 5. “Tattoo” – […]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler […]
Nominees for the 21st annual International Bluegrass Music Awards were announced this morning and once again, Dailey & Vincent top the list with 10 nominations. Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out follow with six nods and right on their heels are Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Sam Bush, and The Grascals with five apiece. The full […]
Peter Cooper recapped last night’s ACM Honors, which seemed to be the kind of event that should be televised in the place of the regular ACM Awards. If Williams had attended, he probably would have enjoyed the musical performances, which included medleys of his hits by Jamey Johnson and The Grascals and a smashing version […]
Birds are creepy, as anyone who’s seen a certain Hitchcock film knows. But from the great speckled bird to Dolly Parton’s little sparrow, these hollow-boned, beady-eyed creatures are something of a country music fixture. Let’s give a listen to some of 2009’s bird songs. 5. “Basket of Singing Birds” – Missy Raines & The New […]
Opry member Mel McDaniel is in the hospital and in a medically induced coma. The Tennessean is reporting that he suffered a heart attack in June. For his next album, Lyle Lovett plans to combine originals along with songs from some of his favorite Texas singer-songwriters. The yet-to-be-titled project will be released Oct. 20. “I […]
Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark and Charlie McCoy became the newest members of the Country Music Hall of Fame on Sunday in a ceremony that included tributes from Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, George Jones, Alison Krauss, Josh Turner, Michael McDonald, Rodney Crowell and others. Reba McEntire is scheduled to sign autographs at CMA Fest for the […]
Miranda Lambert told Billboard‘s Gary Graff that she’s worked on about four songs for her new album, which is scheduled for a September release. She’s mixing some of her own songs and including submissions from other writers. “What’s fun is the more success you have, the better the songs are that you’re pitched,” she notes. […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …