It’s easy, with the perpetual slow-trickle arrival of new country songs, singles and stars, to become fixated on the brand new and of-the-moment—as some publications, writers and fans do. Yet some level of recognizable continuity has been a basic element of the music from its beginnings. In country music, themes and sounds and performers are […]
Willie Nelson, AKUS Announce Co-Headlining Tour; Montreal Gets Country Radio Station; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson and Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas announced that they will co-headline a tour together beginning May 1 in Murray, Kentucky. Kacey Musgraves, Jason Isbell, and The Devil Makes Three will join the tour for select dates. Garth Brooks graciously sent off Jay Leno on The Tonight Show with “The Dance” […]
Willie’s Roadhouse Plans Ray Price Tribute; Joe Henry to Re-Create Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears; Dailey & Vincent to Play Carnegie Hall
SiriusXM channel Willie’s Roadhouse will pay tribute to Ray Price with a three-hour show airing Saturday at noon. Merle Haggard on Price: “He was probably the first outlaw…I think Willie (Nelson) will agree. He was out there fighting for what he believed and doing it his way, and being criticized and all that. I remember […]
The tree is trimmed, the stockings are hung, and Black Friday shoppers have successfully reenacted a trashier version of Gladiator. What else is there to do this holiday season but crank up the stereo? Here are a few albums we’ve been enjoying lately. Mindy Smith – Snowed In Mindy Smith’s new five-song EP (three classics, two […]
Bobby Osborne to Celebrate 50 Years as Opry Member; Zac Brown Band to Release The Grohl Sessions; New Music Videos
Dave Grohl has produced a brand new EP for the Zac Brown Band; The Grohl Sessions, Vol. 1 will be released on December 10. Garth Brooks had a triumphant return to television on Friday night with Garth Brooks: Live from Las Vegas. 8.7 million viewers watched the two-hour special, which won its time slot. Eric […]
Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
The winners of last night’s Americana Awards: Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell Trailblazer Award: Old […]
Banjo Summit Plans East Coast Tour; Swift, Clark Release Videos; Head for the Hills Debuts Blue Ruin
Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Twister Relief benefit concert has already generated at least $1 million thanks to a donation from the Walmart Foundation, which is also sponsoring Saturday’s show. Coming to the East Coast this October: “The Banjo Summit,” featuring Bela Fleck, Tony Trischka, Bill Keith, Richie Stearns, Eric Weissberg, and Noam Pikelny, with special guest Abigail Washburn. […]
HoF to Open Reba Exhibit in August; Slaid Cleaves’ New Album Drops 6/4; Sugar Hill Announces Record Store Day Releases
A new Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibit, Reba: All the Women I Am, will open August 9, 2013 and run through June 8, 2014. Slaid Cleaves’ next album, Still Fighting the War, will be released June 4. (via press release) The Independent Music Awards nominees were announced. Here are the nominees in […]
Thanks for being patient while Sandy threw the site out of whack for a few days. If you have a few bucks to spare, there are many worthwhile charitable organizations, including the Red Cross, helping those affected. If you want to help save some vinyl, Norton Records, whose warehouse was flooded by the hurricane, could […]
TG Sheppard Hospitalized; Sam Phillips, Jerry Lee Lewis Among Memphis Music HoF Inductees; Underwood Goes Platinum
T.G. Sheppard is in critical condition after being hospitalized on Sunday with a bladder infection that spread through his bloodstream. Barry Mazor interviewed Garth Brooks for this fine Wall Street Journal article. Julie King of the News Guardian reviewed a recent Mary Chapin Carpenter/Shawn Colvin concert. Willie Nelson was one of the guests at Jamey […]
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …