If Tammy Rogers wasn’t so dang charming, you just might be worried about that wry smile on her face when she says that The SteelDrivers will always be about murder and mayhem. Born in Tennessee but raised in Irving, Texas, Rogers quickly became proficient on the fiddle. After graduating from SMU University she joined Patty […]
Our posting schedule this week will be a little spotty, but we’ll be back with guns fully blazing on January 2. Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars have teamed up to record a song from the upcoming Hunger Games soundtrack. “Safe & Sound” was co-written by Swift, the duo and T-Bone Burnett. You can listen […]
Mike Henderson Leaves The SteelDrivers; Hank Jr. Raises $75K for Hall of Fame; New Christmas Music From Claire Lynch
Mike Henderson has left The SteelDrivers. From a post Henderson wrote on the band’s website: Now, for personal reasons which have nothing to do with my or my family’s health or well being, the time has come for me to say goodbye. Don’t worry I’ll be around and you’ll be hearing from me soon. I […]
Joe Gracey, an important figure in the Austin music scene, passed away this week after a battle with cancer. Rosanne Cash performs with the Minnesota Orchestra tonight. Chris Willman wrote a piece (and quoted Blake Boldt) about homosexuality in the country music industry: Whatever stereotypes might exist about country music not being a gay-friendly genre, […]
As one-half of the famed rock-pop duo Hall & Oates, John Oates has sold millions of records, toured around the world, won numerous awards and is a member of the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame. Despite all the accolades, however, not many people are aware of his background and the music that inspired him to become […]
It was supposed to be a simple, fun band that would get together every week and pick a few bluegrass chestnuts. Along the way though, The SteelDrivers found a distinctive sound, landed a record deal and released a stunning debut album that garnered them a loyal following and multiple award nominations. The band’s second album, […]
Lead Singer Leaves Cadillac Sky; New Releases; Dierks Bentley Raises $250,000; Track-by-Track Taylor Swift Breakdown
Cadillac Sky lead singer and mandolin player Bryan Simpson announced his departure from the band, but promises that his replacement is extremely gifted and will not disappoint. Several stars plan to get together the day after the CMA Awards to record a Christmas special for ABC. Listen to The SteelDrivers with new lead singer Gary […]
Jamey Johnson Debuts On Top; Justin Townes Earle Enters Rehab; It’s A Top 15 Game; Free Marty Stuart
Jamey Johnson‘s The Guitar Song debuted at the top of Billboard‘s Top Country Albums chart with nearly 63,000 copies sold. Multi-instrumentalist and songwriter Mike Henderson on writing for The SteelDrivers: There’s so much freedom in writing for this band, and we don’t have to have the slightest bit of worry about country radio, so the […]
Among the mix of new, fresh-faced and extremely talented bluegrass groups that have popped up in recent years, The SteelDrivers are a bit of an anomaly. Consisting of music veterans from the country and bluegrass scene with lead vocals more reminiscent of a Southern rock screamer, the band’s debut album made quite a splash, earning […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.