Randy Travis Discharged from Hospital; “Lost” Patty Griffin Album Due in October; Stream Cale Tyson, Amanda Shires Records
Randy Travis was discharged from Baylor Heart Hospital yesterday and relocated to a physical therapy facility to continue his recovery. (via press release) Patty Griffin’s 2000 “lost album,” Silver Bell, will be released October 8. From American Songwriter: “The all-original songs spent about 13 years in catalog limbo, due in large part to a change […]
Lady Anteblleum Leads Country Artists In Grammy Nods; Alan Jackson Fulfills Contract; Todd Snider Schedules Live Collection
As far as country artists go, Lady Antebellum came out on top during last night’s announcement of the Grammy nominees, scoring several nominations in all-genre categories. A diverse range of artists and entertainers represented the country genre though, including Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Stuart & Connie Smith, The […]
Willie Nelson releases albums like most people change their underpants. For the most part, that’s a good thing. He’s had some missteps along the way, but his recent offerings (Willie and the Wheel, American Classic, and Two Men with the Blues) rank as some of the best work in his long and storied career. Produced […]
George Hamilton IV Celebrates 50th Opry Anniversary; Cactus Cafe Still Closing; Carrie Underwood’s “Temporary Home”
Saturday marks George Hamilton IV‘s 50th anniversary as a Grand Ole Opry member. Despite strong opposition, University of Texas officials have no plans to back down from their original decision to close the Cactus Cafe. Long-time manager Griff Luneberg broke his silence on the issue yesterday morning: “As a loyal Texas Union Employee for the […]
Pat Green and BNA Records have parted ways. New releases for the week of September 22, 2009 include: Adam Steffey – One More for the Road Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Arty Hill and the Long Gone Daddys – Montgomery on My Mind: The Hank EP Amazon | iTunes | MySpace | MP3 Samples Diamond […]
Shawn Sahm led the surviving members of the Texas Tornados, Augie Meyers and Flaco Jiminez, in a six-song romp at Antone’s last night that was part of a two-hour tribute show to his father, the late Doug Sahm. In addition to a documentary that’s being made about his father, Shaw Sahm also told the crowd […]
The new Lifetime movie Northern Lights, which debuts on Saturday, is receiving a lot of publicity from the alleged affair between the film’s two co-stars, LeAnn Rimes and actor Eddie Cibrian. Us Weekly broke the story in the latest issue, while Rimes’ asks for your support during this difficult time and Cibrian casts the allegations […]
Sara Evans signed a four-book deal with Thomas Nelson Publishing Company. Her first novel will be released later this year in conjunction with a new album. With the firing of Keith Bilbrey, who worked at Nashville’s WSM radio stations as an on-air personality and Grand Ole Opry announcer for 34 years, The Tennessean‘s Gail Kerr […]
For two days, March 17 and 18, American Idol will feature a Grand Ole Opry theme in which contestants will choose and perform songs popularized by Opry members. Carrie Underwood will also appear on the show to sing “I Told You So” with Randy Travis and Brad Paisley will debut his new single, “Then.” Kelleigh […]
In the latest Rolling Stone, Vanessa Grigoriadis notes that aside from Willie Nelson‘s project with Asleep at the Wheel, he has another album slated for early ’09 titled Naked Willie. It’ll be produced by his harmonica player, Mickey Raphael, and consist of his RCA recordings from 1966 to 1970, without the strings and schmaltz. “For […]
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …