Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
Merle Haggard is headlining MerleFest this spring. Dolly Parton’s Blue Smoke will be released in the U.S. on May 13. The tracklisting includes “Banks of the Ohio.” (via press release) Country Radio Disc Jockey Hall of Fame member Smokey Smith passed away on February 3 at the age of 91. Listen to Johnny Cash and […]
Back in 1989, Suzy Bogguss reeled off her first hit with Merle Haggard’s “Somewhere Between.” Although the first album on which the song appears is long out of print, she’s continued to perform it these past 25 years, and it’s become a fan favorite. When she was casting about for ideas for her next album, […]
Stream A.J. Croce, Scott H. Biram Albums; CMA Foundation Donates $1 Million for Music Education; Deadly Gentlemen Release New Video
Stream A.J. Croce’s 12 Tales, out next Tuesday on Compass Records. Scott H. Biram’s new record, Nothin’ But Blood, is streaming at The A.V. Club. Blake Shelton will perform at a benefit concert for injured veterans on Friday in New York. The event will stream online at Pepsi.com. Jason Isbell played a few for Relix. […]
Pete Seeger Passes Away; Hank Cochran Gets Mississippi Country Music Trail Marker; New Album Releases
Pete Seeger passed away yesterday at the age of 94. According to a CNN article, his grandson said that Seeger had been in the hospital for six days prior to his death and couldn’t speak for the last three days, “but his mind never went away.” The late Hank Cochran is being honored with a […]
Last night’s Grammy Awards results: Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne) Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley” Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite […]
Darrell Scott Releases Benefit Single; Merle Haggard Shares the Story Behind “Big City”; Nettles Tops Country Albums Chart
Merle Haggard shares the story behind “Big City” with The Wall Street Journal. Bob Wills’ former house, located at the Triple B Ranch in Fresno, got moved to Prather, where the Central California Music Association hopes to restore it for use as a centerpiece in a Wills-centric museum. Darrell Scott has released a single, “There’s a […]
Musgraves Tops Scene Poll; Detour Signs with Mountain Fever; Stream Uncle Tupelo’s No Depression: Legacy Edition
Kacey Musgraves topped the Nashville Scene Country Critics Poll. Read the full results here and the comments (which include quotes by Blake, David, Karlie, Ken, and Sam) here. Jesse McReynolds is recuperating after undergoing a minor cardiac procedure last week. In June, the Texas Heritage Songwriters’ Association will honor Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, and K.T. […]
Steven Fromholz, a Texas Poet Laureate whose songs were recorded by Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Jerry Jeff Walker, and others, died in a hunting accident on Sunday. He was 68. Cumberland River has broken up. Bandleader Jamie Dean plans to release a solo album in the future. (via press release) Stream Laura Cantrell’s new album, […]
OCMS Added to MerleFest Lineup; Musgraves to Perform at Grammys; CMA Songwriters Series Heads to Sundance
Old Crow Medicine Show was added to the MerleFest 2014 lineup. (via press release) Billboard is celebrating the 70th birthday of the Hot Country Songs chart with a look back at the chart’s top songs and artists. Bitch premiered the video for Caitlin Cary and musician/poet Shirlette Emmons’ “My Body Politic.” The Australian published a […]
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …