Capitol to Reissue Okie From Muskogee; Country Music Photo Exhibit Coming to L.A.; Ralph Peer Biography Due in November
Capitol Records will re-release Merle Haggard’s 1969 album Okie from Muskogee on March 25. The remastered, two-CD set will include out-of-print live album The Fightin’ Side of Me (1970), which was recorded in Philadelphia. (via press release) The Whites celebrated 30 years as Opry members. Qello is like Netflix, but solely focused on concert films and […]
Bobby Osborne Launches Video Series; Valerie June to Make Austin City Limits Debut; New Album Releases
Watch the first two installments of Bobby Osborne’s “Road to the Opry” video series. 2014 marks Osborne’s 50th year as an Opry member. Time to vote for this year’s Lone Star Music Awards. Mary Chapin Carpenter played a couple shows with The New York Philharmonic. Here’s Jon Pareles’ (New York Times) take on one of […]
Preservationists are raising funds to purchase and restore the Oildale, California boxcar Merle Haggard called home as a child. The “Save Hag’s Boxcar” campaign also wants to move the home to the Kern County Museum. (You can find more information about the campaign on the Save Hag’s Boxcar website and Facebook page.) Stream Chuck Mead’s […]
Loretta Lynn Fights House Fire (She’s Okay); The Mavericks Celebrate 25 Years with Spring Tour; Stream New Drive-By Truckers Album
There was a small fire at Loretta Lynn’s house yesterday when a lit candle fell onto a chair. Lynn sustained minor burns on her hands while using a pillow to put out the flames. Franny Beecher, guitarist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Monday at the age of 92. The Mavericks are […]
Sturgill Simpson’s Sophomore Album Due 5/13; Jean Shepard Working on Her Book; Infamous Stringdusters Release New Video
Jean Shepard has been working for quite a while on a book called Down Through the Years. Fingers crossed it gets released sooner rather than later. Sturgill Simpson’s Metamodern Sounds in Country Music will be released on May 13. Listen to “Living the Dream” and take a peek at the tracklisting (which includes a pretty […]
Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
Merle Haggard is headlining MerleFest this spring. Dolly Parton’s Blue Smoke will be released in the U.S. on May 13. The tracklisting includes “Banks of the Ohio.” (via press release) Country Radio Disc Jockey Hall of Fame member Smokey Smith passed away on February 3 at the age of 91. Listen to Johnny Cash and […]
Back in 1989, Suzy Bogguss reeled off her first hit with Merle Haggard’s “Somewhere Between.” Although the first album on which the song appears is long out of print, she’s continued to perform it these past 25 years, and it’s become a fan favorite. When she was casting about for ideas for her next album, […]
Stream A.J. Croce, Scott H. Biram Albums; CMA Foundation Donates $1 Million for Music Education; Deadly Gentlemen Release New Video
Stream A.J. Croce’s 12 Tales, out next Tuesday on Compass Records. Scott H. Biram’s new record, Nothin’ But Blood, is streaming at The A.V. Club. Blake Shelton will perform at a benefit concert for injured veterans on Friday in New York. The event will stream online at Pepsi.com. Jason Isbell played a few for Relix. […]
Pete Seeger Passes Away; Hank Cochran Gets Mississippi Country Music Trail Marker; New Album Releases
Pete Seeger passed away yesterday at the age of 94. According to a CNN article, his grandson said that Seeger had been in the hospital for six days prior to his death and couldn’t speak for the last three days, “but his mind never went away.” The late Hank Cochran is being honored with a […]
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …