Ray Benson Launches Kickstarter Campaign; Darius Rucker Inducted Into Opry; New SteelDrivers Album Due in February
The Farewell Drifters played a couple for the Bluegrass Situation. Darius Rucker was formally inducted into the Opry yesterday. Watch here. Ray Benson launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for the release of an Asleep at the Wheel documentary. Jewly Hight talks with Shelby Lynne about her evolution as an artist and the [...]
Let’s just get this out of the way up front: Combining 16 stellar songs from one of music’s all-time best songwriters, adding on supremely talented artists such as Alison Krauss, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and George Strait, and putting traditional country torch-bearer Jamey Johnson at the helm leaves little room in an album review for [...]
Missed Part One? Catch up here. KMJ: You mentioned authenticity as an important factor to the show. The press release from Sugar Hill on your third album mentioned the same thing. What does authenticity mean when it comes to your music? RF: When we started singing together, it was really just by accident. When we [...]
It’d be too easy to be cynical given the way legendary country acts of the last 30 years – see the Judds eternal farewell tour or Alabama’s three trips through many markets final trek – have cried wolf about “last” tours. But something about iconic Hall of Famer George Strait – known to many as “King [...]
FTC to Vote on Universal-EMI Merger; Gary Allan, Brad Paisley Plan New Albums; New Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard Video
European regulators approved Universal’s $1.9 billion takeover of EMI. The FTC votes on it today. This article about the Universal-EMI deal and the digital music market paints a grim picture. An excerpt: Major labels control so much of the world’s music catalog, however, that new providers have to ink deals with them before turning to [...]
The legendary Kitty Wells passed away yesterday at the age of 92. These lengthy obituaries from the Washington Post, New York Times, Tennessean, MusicRow, NPR, and CMT.com are all worth reading. Bassist Bob Babbitt, who played on classics like Gladys Knight & The Pips’ “Midnight Train to Georgia” and appeared on albums by Frank Sinatra, Elton [...]
Kellie Pickler and her label, Sony Music Nashville, have parted ways. Says her manager, “Kellie’s contract with Sony came to an end and they mutually decided not to renew.” Kelly Dearmore interviewed Merle Haggard. An excerpt: “I don’t ever want to insult anyone. I have six children, and if I brag about one of them, [...]
Music Exec Donna Hilley Passes Away; Trisha Yearwood’s Cooking Show Renewed for Second Season; Tift Merritt Signs with Yep Roc
Retired music executive Donna Hilley passed away yesterday: Ms. Hilley, born in Birmingham, Ala., worked at Nashville radio station WKDA and at a public relations firm before joining music publisher Tree in 1973. She became Tree’s vice president and chief operating officer in 1978 and arranged Tree’s sale to CBA (which later became Sony Music [...]
This weekend, thousands of bikers will ride through the streets of Washington, D.C. as part of Rolling Thunder, an annual motorcycle run whose mission is “to educate, facilitate, and never forget by means of a demonstration for service members that were abandoned after the Vietnam War. Rolling Thunder has also evolved into a display of [...]
“Coat of Many Colors” Selected for National Recording Registry; Rhonda Vincent to Release Live Gospel Album; Free ATO Records Sampler
Dolly Parton’s “Coat of Many Colors” will be inducted into the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. T-Model Ford has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke. Saving Country Music has information on where to donate to help with Ford’s expenses. Due out July 10: new Hank Jr. record Old School, New Rules. The album will [...]
- Joan Harrison: Hi, My husband and I really enjoy watching your show each week. You had a recipe on for pork ...
- Jon: "@Both Kinds Of Music – Your point is?" It is a little opaque, isn't it?
- BRUCE: @Both Kinds Of Music - Your point is? BTW, I love Rucker's "Wagon Wheel" version. Gotta love Strait. I wished Swift would ...
- Luckyoldsun: Jonny Boy, Are you really as angry about this as you come off?--This has to be an act. I have no problem ...
- Barry Mazor: I'm not personally offended in the least, luckyducky, I also find discussing things with you an utter waste of time ...
- Jon: "Any reasonably educated or sophisticated adult knows" that a televised awards show (or most any other televised music variety show) ...
- Jon: "I think that a lot of the people who do watch award shows, though, watch them because they can’t (for ...
- Luckyoldsun: Rick If Taylor Swift is scoring her 60th No. 1 record at age 61 or whatever, I'll... (Oh, I forgot--I'll be ...
- Rick: Opry Alert! Tonight's Opry features Easton Corbin, Lee Greenwood, Craig Morgan, Mandy Barnett, Diamond Rio (who needs pitch correction these ...
- Both Kinds of Music: "I think we wrote close to 60 or 70 songs" and then put Wagon Wheel on there just to show ...