Darrell Scott Releases Benefit Single; Merle Haggard Shares the Story Behind “Big City”; Nettles Tops Country Albums Chart
Merle Haggard shares the story behind “Big City” with The Wall Street Journal. Bob Wills’ former house, located at the Triple B Ranch in Fresno, got moved to Prather, where the Central California Music Association hopes to restore it for use as a centerpiece in a Wills-centric museum. Darrell Scott has released a single, “There’s a […]
Musgraves Tops Scene Poll; Detour Signs with Mountain Fever; Stream Uncle Tupelo’s No Depression: Legacy Edition
Kacey Musgraves topped the Nashville Scene Country Critics Poll. Read the full results here and the comments (which include quotes by Blake, David, Karlie, Ken, and Sam) here. Jesse McReynolds is recuperating after undergoing a minor cardiac procedure last week. In June, the Texas Heritage Songwriters’ Association will honor Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, and K.T. […]
Steven Fromholz, a Texas Poet Laureate whose songs were recorded by Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Jerry Jeff Walker, and others, died in a hunting accident on Sunday. He was 68. Cumberland River has broken up. Bandleader Jamie Dean plans to release a solo album in the future. (via press release) Stream Laura Cantrell’s new album, […]
OCMS Added to MerleFest Lineup; Musgraves to Perform at Grammys; CMA Songwriters Series Heads to Sundance
Old Crow Medicine Show was added to the MerleFest 2014 lineup. (via press release) Billboard is celebrating the 70th birthday of the Hot Country Songs chart with a look back at the chart’s top songs and artists. Bitch premiered the video for Caitlin Cary and musician/poet Shirlette Emmons’ “My Body Politic.” The Australian published a […]
2013 was a busy year for Donna Ulisse; early in the year she released I Am a Child of God, an album of gospel songs, and released Showin’ My Roots later that year. On Roots, Ulisse honors the men and women whose music and writing are so much a part of what has created her. […]
Don Williams will release a new album, Reflections, on Sugar Hill Records March 11. It will include some songs written by Townes Van Zandt, Merle Haggard and Jesse Winchester. Jack Ingram has signed a new deal with Blaster Records and plans to release two albums this year. The meritorious C.M. Wilcox put up another Quotable […]
Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly put together a video detailing Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013. Says Smith, “I was inspired to make this supercut after posting my 10 Best Country Albums of 2013 list for EW. A few commenters told me that my choices weren’t mainstream enough, and I thought, “Well, yeah, because […]
Haggard, Nelson, Kristofferson & Shelton to Perform at Grammys; Chuck Mead Signs with Plowboy; Isbell Releases New Music Videos
Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, and…Blake Shelton will perform together at the Grammy Awards next month. First Baptist Church in Mt. Pleasant, Texas is holding a memorial service for Ray Price on Saturday afternoon. Fellow Pennsylvanians might dig this brief article about Price’s place in the Lehigh Valley country music scene. Remember last week […]
Willie’s Roadhouse Plans Ray Price Tribute; Joe Henry to Re-Create Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears; Dailey & Vincent to Play Carnegie Hall
SiriusXM channel Willie’s Roadhouse will pay tribute to Ray Price with a three-hour show airing Saturday at noon. Merle Haggard on Price: “He was probably the first outlaw…I think Willie (Nelson) will agree. He was out there fighting for what he believed and doing it his way, and being criticized and all that. I remember […]
It’s that time of year again when we’re making our lists and checking them twice to find out which books have been good enough this year to stuff your and your families’ and friends’ stockings. Making such lists always presents a challenge since hundreds of books about music, musicians, or the making of individual albums […]
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …
- Barry Mazor: Well, gee, Taste of Country that sure clears that up. The argument's over--and it only took 200 words. …
- Barry Mazor: Inductions in all categories, by the rules, are one at a time--unless there's a dead-on tie, as happened once or …
- David Cantwell: Barry, do you know whether or not (sorry if you've already answered this question) the rotating category is limited to …