Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars. Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, […]
Mel Tillis is recovering after undergoing “routine heart surgery” over the weekend. USAToday.com premiered songs by Rodney Crowell (“God, I’m Missing You”) and Don Williams (“Sing Me Back Home”). Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Allen Toussaint, and more will salute Dr. John at a tribute concert scheduled for May 3 in […]
Chet Flippo Passes Away; Jesse Brock Joins The Gibson Brothers; Download Free Preservation Hall Jazz Band Single
Music journalist Chet Flippo passed away yesterday at the age of 69. He was a thoughtful and engaging writer who did a lot of important work, and he’ll be missed. Rolling Stone, CMT, The Tennessean, The Hollywood Reporter, MusicRow, The Nashville Scene, The L.A. Times, Billboard, and Paste are a few of the outlets who […]
George Jones’ Album Sales Soar; Yearwood, Little Big Town Nominated for Daytime Emmys; Initial Wide Open Bluegrass Lineup Announced
Last night, people began lining up for George Jones’ funeral. The service will air on CMT, GAC, WSM, Opry.com, RFD-TV and Sirius XM at 11 a.m. Eastern. The ACM Awards posted a Jones tribute on YouTube. Nick Ryerson writes about “The Salvation of George Jones” in his new God and Country column. Eddie Stubbs paid tribute […]
Mel Tillis Plans Book Release; Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s Drummer, Injured in Car Crash; Album Releases
Mel Tillis has a book in the works for release later this year. Gregg Lohman, Kellie Pickler’s drummer, was hospitalized with serious injuries following a car accident in Kentucky on Saturday. T Bone Burnett shares his musical influences with Vulture. Hank Williams III has two records in the works. The New Yorker published a piece […]
Nectar of the Gods. That’s what a friend of mine and I call the sweet goodness that is known as Coca-Cola. It hits the spot for millions of patrons a day in more than 200 different countries. That’s not too bad for something that was intended as a patent medicine when it was invented by […]
Back when I was researching and writing my book Meeting Jimmie Rodgers, at least one friend misheard what I was doing and thought I was dedicating years of work to Kenny Rogers. There were a lot of polite, puzzled “Is that so’s” and ‘How ’bout that’s.” These two artists strike so many people as so very different that they […]
Mel Tillis Receives National Medal of Arts; Muddy Roots Festival Lineup Additions; New Album Releases
Mel Tillis was at the White House yesterday, receiving a National Medal of Arts. CMT.com has the story about how Whitney Houston came to record Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You.” This project, a documentary about Peter Rowan, looks pretty interesting. Jake Kelly of American Songwriter paid a visit to the Deering Banjo factory […]
Jennifer Nettles got married last Saturday to boyfriend Justin Miller. Producer and Columbia Records A&R rep Don DeVito passed away on Friday at the age of 72. He was instrumental in the careers of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and more. Songwriter Virginia Mae Stauffer passed away earlier this month. Did a group called The Speek […]
Martina McBride Joins Republic Nashville; Hillary Scott Named SESAC’s Songwriter of the Year; Stream Reba McEntire
Martina McBride left her longtime label Sony Music Nashville to join the Republic Nashville roster. Lady Antebellum‘s hit “Need You Now” won song of the year at last night’s SESAC awards ceremony, and one of the song’s co-writers, Hillary Scott (Lady A’s only member of SESAC), took home songwriter of the year honors. The Tennessean […]
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.