On October 3, Charley Pride will be honored by the Smithsonian’s new National Museum of African American History and Culture with a reception. Pride’s sending the museum his 1971 Country Male Vocalist of the Year Award, his 1972 Grammy, a guitar, and some ‘70s outfits for display at the museum, which is slated to open […]
“Love for Levon” Benefit Concert Planned; Loretta Lynn Works on New Music; The Real Cost of Free Downloads
Singer-songwriter Heather Roberts is missing. She was last seen in the Dallas area. Loretta Lynn talks about the new music she’s been working on: Well, I’ve got 60-something things cut already. I’ve got a Christmas album, two religious albums. I’m gonna put ‘em out and get ‘em on the radio. Coming to the East […]
Susanna Clark, songwriter, artist, and wife of Guy Clark, passed away at the age of 73. Here’s a lovely remembrance from Terry Roland posted on No Depression. Iris DeMent talks about her new album, Sing the Delta (out Oct. 2), with Billboard, where you can also hear the title track. Kenny Chesney’s Welcome to the Fishbowl […]
If you’re fundamentally or primarily a fan of country music, or Americana, or bluegrass, as many reading these words will be, you might well not be familiar with the name “Janiva Magness.” (For one thing, her first name’s pronounced JAN-i-vah, more like “Canada” than “Geneva.”) This, separate genre worlds being what they are, despite the […]
Check out New Year’s resolutions from Whitehorse’s Luke Doucet, Lydia Loveless, Rob Berliner (Hoots and Hellmouth) and others. Turnstyled Junkpiled celebrates Townes Van Zandt Week, featuring tribute videos from Justin Townes Earle, Ted Russell Kamp, and others. Chet Flippo is full of praise for Dierks Bentley’s upcoming album, Home. Ryan Adams was the subject of […]
Dolly Parton and Wanda Jackson Hit VH1; Ray Wylie Hubbard Plans New Album and Memoir; New Gretchen Peters Video
Dolly Parton will serve as a presenter and Wanda Jackson will perform on VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul, which is going to air on December 19. Mavis Staples will also perform. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are paying for bluesman Hubert Sumlin’s funeral. Ray Wylie Hubbard’s got big plans for 2012, with an album (called The […]
Tracklisting Finalized for New George Strait Album; Free Compilation Record to Support Public Radio; Jean Shepard on a Boat
Rolling Stone announces that an album of Hank Williams’ lyrics and unfinished songs (which were found in a briefcase after Williams’ death) will be released on October 4. Bob Dylan, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, and Norah Jones are just a few of the artists tasked with recording those songs. Taylor Swift hit up the Lincoln […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.