People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and […]
Wade Mainer and Don Wayne Pass Away; Lee Ann Womack Returns to Studio; Justin Townes Earle Contributes to Boardwalk Empire Soundtrack
Banjo pioneer Wade Mainer passed away on Monday at the age of 104. Songwriter Don Wayne, whose extensive body of work included “Saginaw, Michigan,” also passed away on Monday. He was 78. Lee Ann Womack is back in the studio working on a new album. Check out the Opry’s birthday celebration for George Jones. Justin […]
George Jones turns 80 on Monday, and WSM has an on-air celebration planned. From the press release: “The party is set to include Jones classics every hour 12 midnight – 7 p.m., listener birthday greetings and requests throughout the day, and a special edition of “The Eddie Stubbs Show” 7 p.m. – midnight featuring nothing […]
Jonny Corndawg is offering a free download of “Chevy Beretta” from his upcoming album. Also be sure to check out this Corndawg-centric short film. Chet Flippo discusses The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams and cites Country California in his newest column. Country California picked their favorite songs from records released in July. Next year marks […]
New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell. Sara […]
“Oh Cumberland” opens more than a thousand miles from the river and region that lend the song its title. “Fire on the asphalt, L.A. freeway,” Matraca Berg sings ominously on the first verse. “Santa Ana windstorm, come blow me away.” That’s not an especially enticing depiction of southern California, which comes across almost literally like […]
Matraca Berg Schedules First Album in 14 Years; New Album Release List; Zac Brown Band Releases New Video
On May 17, Matraca Berg will release The Dreaming Fields, her first album in 14 years. (via press release) With The Dreaming Fields, she not only evokes the seminal records she was raised on, she fearlessly looks towards life and tragic resolution of a battered woman (“If I Had Wings”), the devastating beauty fading into […]
Del McCoury Band Teams Up with Preservation Hall Jazz Band; Pickup Lines In Country Music; Ralph Stanley Video Liner
The Del McCoury Band is teaming up with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a new album and tour. (via @jonweisberger) NashvilleGab highlighted a comment made by entertainment reporter Jimmy Carter about all of Miranda Lambert‘s nominations: Entertainment reporter, Jimmy Carter tells WKKT that an inside source told him that Miranda Lambert got 7 noms […]
Four-time CMA Entertainer of the Year Kenny Chesney won’t compete for the coveted honor when the awards are handed out on November 10. In the last year, he’s taken a sabbatical from touring, effectively surrendering his title as the industry’s torchbearer. According to Chesney, his hiatus has given him a fresh perspective in terms of […]
Taylor Swift & Kris Kristofferson Swap Songs/Compliments; Jerry Lee Lewis’ Duet Album Wasn’t Supposed To Be
Writing for the L.A. Times’ music blog Pop & Hiss, Randy Lewis recapped last Thursday’s All for the Hall benefit with Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Vince Gill, Taylor Swift, and Lionel Richie. Chris Willman wrote about the song swap for CMT. Zac Brown Band elicits strong feelings in The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards. But Brown […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."