#20-11 10. Sunny Sweeney – Concrete Rooted in traditional country, Sunny Sweeney’s sophomore album is slick enough for contemporary, as she netted her first Top 10 single with “From a Table Away.” Sweeney’s taken a big step with her songwriting since debut record Heartbreaker’s Hall of Fame, co-writing seven of Concrete’s ten tracks with talent [...]
Lyle Lovett Readies New Album; Miranda Lambert Announces New Single; Country Singers Celebrate First Amendment
The Country Music Association has pledged $10 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s expansion efforts. Lyle Lovett’s new album, Release Me, is set for release on February 28. James McMurtry’s Mountain Stage performance can be streamed here. The Del McCoury Band came in at #10 on PopMatters’ 2011 Artists of the [...]
Sunny Sweeney Releases Holiday Single; Farce the Music Offers Benefit Compilation; Dobie Gray and Barbara Orbison Pass Away
Dobie Gray passed away yesterday at the age of 71. Barbara Orbison, widow of Roy Orbison, also passed away yesterday (the 23rd anniversary of Roy’s death). She was 60 years old. Gretchen Peters has a new blog entry up about the song “Camille,” written with Matraca Berg and Suzy Bogguss. “Camille” will be on Peters’ [...]
George Strait Remembers Chris LeDoux; Rhonda Vincent Adds New Band Member; Top Country/Roots Guitarists
If you punch a lady in the face at a Chris Young show, he’ll throw you out while singing about it. 48 of the Indiana stage collapse victims have sued Sugarland and 12 other defendants. Hearth Music posted an interview with old-time banjo player Riley Baugus, whose work has appeared on the Cold Mountain soundtrack [...]
Deana Carter feels like she’s just getting around to having perspective. The daughter of Fred Carter Jr., a guitarist who spent nearly two decades as the Nashville session player, Deana had an insider’s view to the country music industry like few others. But after securing and signing her first record deal with Capitol Records, there [...]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and [...]
Wade Mainer and Don Wayne Pass Away; Lee Ann Womack Returns to Studio; Justin Townes Earle Contributes to Boardwalk Empire Soundtrack
Banjo pioneer Wade Mainer passed away on Monday at the age of 104. Songwriter Don Wayne, whose extensive body of work included “Saginaw, Michigan,” also passed away on Monday. He was 78. Lee Ann Womack is back in the studio working on a new album. Check out the Opry’s birthday celebration for George Jones. Justin [...]
George Jones turns 80 on Monday, and WSM has an on-air celebration planned. From the press release: “The party is set to include Jones classics every hour 12 midnight – 7 p.m., listener birthday greetings and requests throughout the day, and a special edition of “The Eddie Stubbs Show” 7 p.m. – midnight featuring nothing [...]
Jonny Corndawg is offering a free download of “Chevy Beretta” from his upcoming album. Also be sure to check out this Corndawg-centric short film. Chet Flippo discusses The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams and cites Country California in his newest column. Country California picked their favorite songs from records released in July. Next year marks [...]
New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell. Sara [...]
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...
- Kelly D.: Dig the Whiskey Sisters and the write-up from ol' Jim C.
- Bruce: "Why do people talk about the authenticity and/or genuineness of others with whom they’ve had no direct, normal social interaction ...
- Luckyoldsun: Hank III says "Old Junior once said it best,"--Is that some sort of rapprochement in the Williams family soap opera? It's ...
- Joan Harrison: Hi, My husband and I really enjoy watching your show each week. You had a recipe on for pork ...
- Jon: "@Both Kinds Of Music – Your point is?" It is a little opaque, isn't it?
- BRUCE: @Both Kinds Of Music - Your point is? BTW, I love Rucker's "Wagon Wheel" version. Gotta love Strait. I wished Swift would ...
- Luckyoldsun: Jonny Boy, Are you really as angry about this as you come off?--This has to be an act. I have no problem ...
- Barry Mazor: I'm not personally offended in the least, luckyducky, I also find discussing things with you an utter waste of time ...