Stream There Will be Nights When I’m Lonely, the new album from one-man band Possessed by Paul James, at Saving Country Music. Mandy Barnett will release I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson, through Cracker Barrel on November 11. Tracks include “Sweet Dreams,” “Oh, Lonesome Me,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.” […]
A&E Picks Up Country Music Reality Show; New Buck Owens Compilation and Book Due in November; HoF to Open Terri Clark Exhibit
Out November 5 on Omnivore Recordings: Buck ‘Em! The Music of Buck Owens (1955-1967). The two-disc collection will be released as a companion to Buck ’Em! The Autobiography of Buck Owens by Buck Owens with Randy Poe. A&E has picked up the reality series Crazy Hearts: Nashville. A premiere date has not been determined; however, the show “will […]
Grass Valley is one of those quaint Northern California towns wedged right between the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Sacramento Valley. It teases with its pine trees, but isn’t quite high enough in elevation to escape the brutal 100+ degree days prevalent in the summer months. With the outside temperatures hovering near 95 as […]
Stream New Music From Patty Griffin, Willie Nelson; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute Album in May; Album Releases
Stream “Ohio,” a song from Patty Griffin’s American Kid (out 5/7), here. Rolling Stone posted the title track of Willie Nelson’s upcoming album of standards, Let’s Face the Music and Dance. Hellbound Glory played “Lost Cause” for CMT Edge. Stream David Mayfield Parade’s new record at American Songwriter. Good Man Down, which includes guests Doyle […]
Jack Greene passed away yesterday at the age of 83. Hilary Williams released a new EP. Mary Chapin Carpenter’s single “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” was the subject of a “Hear This” A.V. Club post. An excerpt: The genius of the song, though, is that Carpenter doesn’t end in [a] moment of forced girl power. […]
Stream Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison’s Cheater’s Game; New Lori McKenna Record Due in April; Album Releases
On March 2, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will “present a special panel discussion, Forever with Us: The 50th Anniversary of a Country Music Tragedy, in memory of Country Music Hall of Fame member Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins and Randy Hughes, whose lives were lost in a plane crash a half century […]
Tony Douglas Passes Away; Blake Shelton Controversy Boils Over; Coen Brothers Release Trailer for New Folk Music Film
The Blake Shelton business mentioned in the Thursday morning roundup exploded yesterday afternoon. Ray Price took to his Facebook page and wrote It’s a shame that I have spend 63 years in this business trying to introduce music to a larger audience and to make it easier for the younger artists who are coming behind […]
It happens every week. Every Wednesday, when I post my variation of “Gone Fishing” on my Facebook page, announcing I am M-I-A because I will be facedown in ABC’s primetime drama, Nashville, the comments start piling up. About how the writing sucks, the plot blows, but especially, how dreadful the music is. I laugh. I’m not watching the […]
Matraca Berg’s new album, Love’s Truck Stop, is getting good reviews across the pond. The second annual Red River Songwriters Festival will be held January 24-26 in Red River, New Mexico. Artists scheduled to perform include Ray Wylie Hubbard, Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, and more. Listen to new Junior Brown song, “Hang Up and Drive.” […]
TG Sheppard Hospitalized; Sam Phillips, Jerry Lee Lewis Among Memphis Music HoF Inductees; Underwood Goes Platinum
T.G. Sheppard is in critical condition after being hospitalized on Sunday with a bladder infection that spread through his bloodstream. Barry Mazor interviewed Garth Brooks for this fine Wall Street Journal article. Julie King of the News Guardian reviewed a recent Mary Chapin Carpenter/Shawn Colvin concert. Willie Nelson was one of the guests at Jamey […]
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !
- Janice Brooks: The Kenny and Amanda Smith track is in rotation her. Hoping for a promo from Brennen and Noel.
- SunsetPark: www.dictionary.com today has "5 Famous Words of Country Music" on their front page. It includes honky-tonk (with a reference …