Old Crow Medicine Show was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry by Marty Stuart. They’ll be inducted on September 17. Joey + Rory announced on their RFD-TV television show that they will release their next album, Made to Last, in the fall. Thompson Square brought computers to a school in Honduras. Martina McBride is no longer […]
Cowboy Jack Clement Passes Away; Loretta Lynn to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom; Larry Cordle Duets Album Due in October
The legendary Cowboy Jack Clement passed away from liver cancer yesterday at the age of 82. The New York Times, The Washington Post, The 615, and CMT all published obituaries, but if you only read one, it should be the one Peter Cooper wrote. Barry Mazor wrote about Clement in a January Roots Watch: Jack’s […]
CMT Awards Winners Announced; Vince Gill & Paul Franklin’s Bakersfield Due 7/30; Best American Roots Song Category Added to Grammys
The CMT Awards were held last night (you can stream the whole thing if you missed it). Here are the winners: Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away” Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton, “Sure Be Cool if You Did” Female Video of the Year: Miranda Lambert, “Mama’s Broken Heart” Group Video of […]
For many of us, Eric Brace and Peter Cooper never went away. Wasn’t it just two years ago that they produced a stellar cast of musicians on the Grammy-nominated I Love: Tom T. Hall’s Songs of Fox Hollow? And it’s only three years ago that Brace and Cooper released their acclaimed Master Sessions, featuring pedal […]
Vince Gill Performs with Boston Pops; Shovels & Rope to Release O’ Be Joyful Deluxe Edition; New Valerie Smith, Black Lillies Videos
Producer and Canadian Country Music Hall of Famer Bill Langstroth passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Connie Smith, Bobby Bare, and Sleepy Man Banjo Boys are among the artists who’ll be playing Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam on June 5 at the Ryman. See any familiar faces in Pistol Annies’ “Hush Hush” video? […]
George Jones Hospitalized; Willie Nelson to Play West, TX Benefit Concert; Last of the Breed Documentary Trailer Released
Chicago blues guitarist Jimmy Dawkins passed away at the age of 76. George Jones was admitted to a Nashville hospital for observation after a routine checkup revealed that he had a slight fever and irregular blood pressure. His concerts scheduled for this weekend have been postponed. Willie Nelson’s April 28 show in Austin will be […]
Jason Molina passed away Saturday at the age of 39. David Allan Coe ran a red light in Ocala, Florida, and was T-boned by a semi early this morning. Coe and the two people in the truck have been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening conditions.” On Saturday in Chicago, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will pay tribute […]
Keith Urban to Host “All for the Hall” Benefit Show in April; Pickathon Lineup Announced; Son Volt Announces Tour Dates
Blues guitarist Magic Slim passed away yesterday at the age of 75. YouTube video views will be added to the formula that ranks Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. Singer-songwriter Anne McCue wrote a pretty funny blog calling for a ban of assault guitars: A citizens’ action group called E.A.R.P.L.U.G.S. has started a petition to ban assault guitars […]
New Gibson Brothers Album Due in March; ROMP Lineup Announced; Rolling Stone Premieres New Son Volt Song
The Gibson Brothers’ next album, They Called It Music, will be released on Compass Records March 26. Merle Haggard, The Del McCoury Band, Sam Bush, Town Mountain, Della Mae and The SteelDrivers are a few of the acts booked for this year’s ROMP, which will be held in late June. Check out the full lineup […]
Mavis Staples, Zac Brown & More to Honor Levon Helm at Grammys; George Strait to Receive CRB Career Achievement Award; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Approved for Funding
Elton John, Mumford and Sons, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown, T Bone Burnett, and Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) will take part in a tribute to Levon Helm at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. The Birthplace of Country Music Museum, currently under construction in Bristol, Tenn. recently got approved for funding. $600,000 will be paid in installments […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...