For many of us, Eric Brace and Peter Cooper never went away. Wasn’t it just two years ago that they produced a stellar cast of musicians on the Grammy-nominated I Love: Tom T. Hall’s Songs of Fox Hollow? And it’s only three years ago that Brace and Cooper released their acclaimed Master Sessions, featuring pedal […]
Vince Gill Performs with Boston Pops; Shovels & Rope to Release O’ Be Joyful Deluxe Edition; New Valerie Smith, Black Lillies Videos
Producer and Canadian Country Music Hall of Famer Bill Langstroth passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Connie Smith, Bobby Bare, and Sleepy Man Banjo Boys are among the artists who’ll be playing Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam on June 5 at the Ryman. See any familiar faces in Pistol Annies’ “Hush Hush” video? […]
George Jones Hospitalized; Willie Nelson to Play West, TX Benefit Concert; Last of the Breed Documentary Trailer Released
Chicago blues guitarist Jimmy Dawkins passed away at the age of 76. George Jones was admitted to a Nashville hospital for observation after a routine checkup revealed that he had a slight fever and irregular blood pressure. His concerts scheduled for this weekend have been postponed. Willie Nelson’s April 28 show in Austin will be […]
Jason Molina passed away Saturday at the age of 39. David Allan Coe ran a red light in Ocala, Florida, and was T-boned by a semi early this morning. Coe and the two people in the truck have been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening conditions.” On Saturday in Chicago, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will pay tribute […]
Keith Urban to Host “All for the Hall” Benefit Show in April; Pickathon Lineup Announced; Son Volt Announces Tour Dates
Blues guitarist Magic Slim passed away yesterday at the age of 75. YouTube video views will be added to the formula that ranks Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. Singer-songwriter Anne McCue wrote a pretty funny blog calling for a ban of assault guitars: A citizens’ action group called E.A.R.P.L.U.G.S. has started a petition to ban assault guitars […]
New Gibson Brothers Album Due in March; ROMP Lineup Announced; Rolling Stone Premieres New Son Volt Song
The Gibson Brothers’ next album, They Called It Music, will be released on Compass Records March 26. Merle Haggard, The Del McCoury Band, Sam Bush, Town Mountain, Della Mae and The SteelDrivers are a few of the acts booked for this year’s ROMP, which will be held in late June. Check out the full lineup […]
Mavis Staples, Zac Brown & More to Honor Levon Helm at Grammys; George Strait to Receive CRB Career Achievement Award; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Approved for Funding
Elton John, Mumford and Sons, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown, T Bone Burnett, and Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) will take part in a tribute to Levon Helm at the Grammy Awards on Sunday. The Birthplace of Country Music Museum, currently under construction in Bristol, Tenn. recently got approved for funding. $600,000 will be paid in installments […]
Back a lifetime or two ago when I was an undergraduate at George Washington University in DC, I was a regular deejay on the campus radio station, with a show called “Heartbreak Hotel” that featured roots rock, country music and what would have been called “Americana” if there’d been a term for it; this was […]
More than 350 songs were on this year’s ballot. We cut the list to just our top 60, though it easily could have been a Top 100 countdown. What were your favorite songs of the past year? You can listen to a Spotify playlist of the available songs here. 60. Bucky Covington — “A Father’s […]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a […]
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …
- Chad: "I Love" of course!
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …