Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
It’s easy, with the perpetual slow-trickle arrival of new country songs, singles and stars, to become fixated on the brand new and of-the-moment—as some publications, writers and fans do. Yet some level of recognizable continuity has been a basic element of the music from its beginnings. In country music, themes and sounds and performers are […]
The Hattiesburg American reports that the Coca-Cola building in Philadelphia, Mississippi is being transformed into a warehouse associated with the proposed Marty Stuart Center. When it opens, the Center will hold Stuart’s collection of country music memorabilia. Ruthie Foster will release Promise of a New Day on August 19. USA Today premiered one of the […]
The Grand Ole Opry ranks dropped by one with the passing with the grand Cajun, Jimmy C. Newman, from cancer at the age of 86. Marty Stuart summed it up best with his comment in the obit Peter Cooper wrote for The Tennessean: “His role became the Cajun fellow at the Opry, and that’s great. But if you go back […]
Country Stars Revisit the Bristol Sessions; Pokey LaFarge Announces Tour; HoF & Music City Roots to Celebrate Night Train to Nashville Anniversary
Justin Townes Earle will release Single Mothers on Vagrant Records September 9. (via press release) Hot Rize has a new album and fall tour in the works. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Music City Roots are teaming up for a concert (scheduled for July 30) celebrating the tenth anniversary of Night Train to […]
Lee Ann Womack to Sing at Maya Angelou’s Funeral; Alan Jackson Plans 25th Anniversary Tour; Nobel Prize Nominee Writes Country Songs
Last night’s CMT Music Awards winners: Group Video of the Year: The Band Perry – “Done” Breakthrough Video of the Year: Cassadee Pope – “Wasting All These Tears” Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton – “Doin’ What She Likes” CMT Performance of the Year: Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie – “Oh No/All Night Long” Collaborative Video […]
Stream Dave & Phil Alvin’s Big Bill Broonzy Tribute; CMHOF to Salute “Nashville Cat” Steve Gibson; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman
The New Yorker is streaming Dave and Phil Alvin’s salute to Big Bill Broonzy, Common Ground, which comes out next week on Yep Roc. Here’s a photo gallery of Waylon Jennings taping a show at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in 1984. Esquire premiered Dom Flemons’ “But They Got It Fixed Right On,” a track […]
Stuart, Shaver Plan Album Releases; John Fahey Biography Due in June; Trampled By Turtles Debut New Song
Billy Joe Shaver will release Long in the Tooth on Lightning Rod Records August 5. Give a listen to “Hard to be an Outlaw,” Shaver’s new duet with Willie Nelson, here. On September 30, Marty Stuart is going to release the double album Saturday Night & Sunday Morning. As the title suggests, one disc will […]
Emmylou to Headline FreshGrass; Lambert & Underwood Will Debut Duet at Billboard Awards; Banjo Power Couple Plans New Album
What’s Jamey Johnson up to these days? Training Randy Travis’ horses. I know you lie awake at night wondering, “Self, what Dolly Parton song am I?” Luckily, Parton and the folks at Buzzfeed put together this quiz so you can figure out which one of Dolly’s songs best represents you. Jewly Hight interviewed Mickey Gilley […]
CMHOF to Spotlight Crystal Gayle; Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Nominees; Wayne Hancock Recovering from Motorcycle Accident
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will open a spotlight exhibit focused on Crystal Gayle May 2. The exhibit will run through November 3. (via press release) Wayne Hancock is recovering from a motorcycle accident last weekend that left him with a collapsed lung and fractured elbow. He’s still hospitalized and his May […]
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …