Merle Haggard on Tavis Smiley; Jerrod Niemann Working on New Album; New Marty Raybon Single and Video
If you missed Merle Haggard’s appearance on Tavis Smiley, the interview will be posted here shortly. Zoe Muth and Joe Nichols made CMT’s Craig Shelburne’s list of the year’s overlooked albums. Singer-songwriter Matt Ellis is offering a free download of his song “Another L.A. Christmas.” Edward Morris of CMT caught an anti-death penalty benefit show […]
Lately I’ve been thinking about repetition, repeatedly. See, I’ve never been one of those who can be counted on to rail against the latest alleged oncoming modern pop corruption of whatever country music has been sounding like for a while. In country, complaints about sonic invaders have always been there. But in addition, history leaves […]
New Dates Announced for Garth Brooks’ Vegas Shows; Laura Cantrell on Johnnie Wright; Marty Raybon and Bucky Covington Ink New Deals;
Marty Raybon signed with Rural Rhythm Records. Bucky Covington signed a deal with eOne (Entertainment One Music Group). Folk artist Bert Jansch passed away this morning. There’s a new Quotable Country over at Country California. Laura Cantrell spoke with Jim Bessman of the Examiner about Johnnie Wright and Kitty Wells. If you’ve got a few […]
Zac Brown Band Partners with Jack Daniel’s; Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice Adds New Member; New Sara Evans Video
Elizabeth Cook was charming and hilarious on The Late Show with David Letterman Monday night (fast-forward to the 29 minute mark if you don’t want to sit through the whole episode). James “Glen” Croker, lead vocalist for Cajun band the Hackberry Ramblers, passed away yesterday at the age of 77. Zac Brown Band has partnered […]
Love and Theft Drops to Duo Status; Billboard Adds Social 50 Chart; Edgar Loudermilk Releases Duet with Rhonda Vincent
From three to two, Love and Theft loses a member. Trace Adkins on John Rich‘s Celebrity Apprentice appearance: “After that first season, they came to me and said, ‘Who in country music should we go after?’ He was the first name that I told ‘em. I said, ‘You gotta get John Rich.’ He’s like a […]
Sugarland Settles Lawsuit with Founder Kristen Hall; Country Shows Expand; Anna Wilson Adds Jazz to Country Standards
Current Sugarland members Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush settled a lawsuit with the group’s founding member, Kristen Hall, who claims she was owed more than $14 million. Details of the settlement weren’t disclosed. NPR’s Meredith Ochs says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus! challenges commonly held perceptions: Though it’s well-known […]
Who was the female lead in Pure Country? Low blow, mister: That ponytail was a clip-on. — CM Why do young people like the song “Love Story?” The same reason my generation liked the song “Can’t Live Without Your Love and Affection”: young people are dumb. — Sam Why isn’t Miley Cyrus country anymore? Country […]
Miranda Lambert Debuts “The House That Built Me” Video; Jake Owen Channels Brooks & Dunn In Tribute to Scooby Doo
The video for Miranda Lambert‘s “The House That Built Me,” which is also the fastest rising single of her career, debuted on iTunes today. (iTunes) New releases for the week of April 6, 2010 include: Becky Schlegel – Dandelion Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Brison Bursey Band – Expectations and Parking Lots Amazon | iTunes […]
Garth Brooks Tickets Sold Out; Little Doug Sahm’s First Single; Country Music Displacing Rock n’ Roll
Sell Outs: The first 20 shows of Garth Brooks‘ gig at the Wynn Las Vegas resort sold out in less than five hours and four of Taylor Swift‘s 2010 tour dates sold out in two minutes on Friday. Next month marks 10 years since the passing of Doug Sahm. The folks at Texas Music Matters […]
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.