With 19 albums and hundreds of songs to his name, Jim Lauderdale has become one of the leading voices in the country and Americana genres. His collaborations include everyone from Ralph Stanley to Elvis Costello. In fact, it’s probably easier to come up with a list of people that haven’t worked with him than those […]
Don Williams to Perform Limited Number of Dates; New Album Releases; CMA Music Fest Attendance Booms
Soon-to-be-Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams is coming out of retirement for a limited number of concert dates in the fall. Garth Brooks, now out of his own retirement, announced new dates for September, October, and November. New releases for the week of June 15, 2010 include: The Blue Shadows – On The Floor […]
Mumford & Sons Plans Bluegrass EP; Dolly Parton, Trace Adkins, and Mark Chesnutt Schedule New Albums
The four-man British band Mumford & Sons is planning to release an EP of bluegrass songs later this year. In an interview with CMT Insider, Sugarland‘s Kristian Bush and Jennifer Nettles talked a little more about their new album. Listen to “Last Train to Rome” and “More Wishes Than Dimes,” the latest songs available for […]
Just because everything is bigger in Texas doesn’t mean that today’s Friday Five will be a Friday Six. Rules are rules. This edition of the Friday Five, however, will have a uniquely Lone Star State type of feel–five songs that deal with Texas towns. Josh Abbott Band’s brand new single, “She’s Like Texas” got my […]
For every cover that turns out well–like, say, Del McCoury’s “1952 Vincent Black Lightning,” or Patsy Cline’s “Faded Love”–there’s a cover that isn’t quite so good. Here are a few of them. 10. “God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You” – Alabama featuring ‘N Sync In 1999 Alabama joined forces with Lou […]
On June 8, Sugar Hill will release Twistable, Turnable Man: A Musical Tribute to the Songs of Shel Silverstein with performances by both Bobby Bares, John Prine, Kris Kirstofferson, Sarah Jarosz, Ray Price and more. Do yourself a favor and check out Jamie Wilson. (MySpace) Mark Chesnutt‘s upcoming album consists entirely of outlaw classics like […]
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on the website 2steppin.com, and has been reprinted here with permission. This comprehensive look at race relations in country music was written prior to the rise of Darius Rucker as a hitmaker. The 9513 would love to hear your comments about race in country music today, and about […]
Grammy Winners; Willie Nelson Cancels Concert, Crew Charged With Illegal Possession; UT to Close Historic Venue
Taylor Swift came up big at last night’s Grammy Awards. Following is a list of winners in categories relevant to this blog: Album Of The Year Taylor Swift – Fearless Best New Artist Zac Brown Band Best Female Country Vocal Performance Taylor Swift – White Horse Best Male Country Vocal Performance Keith Urban – Sweet […]
Thankfulness in country music can often be sarcastic, as in “Thanks A Lot,” or humorous, like “Thank God and Greyhound.” But with this month’s playlist we’re going to be serious, and check out some songs on which artists count their various blessings. 20. “Thank God For The Road” – The Flatlanders “When you’re trying to […]
Texas country rocker Kevin Fowler trades Bambi for Budweiser, hunting for Heineken and ammo for Amstel on his new single “Beer Season,” a catchy, silly song that is refreshingly fun for the sake of being fun. Unlike current chart-topping “good time” songs that are so calculated and slickly produced (think Craig Morgan’s “Bonfire” or Brooks […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …