Compass Records to Release Jean Ritchie Tribute; Alan Jackson, Kenny Rogers HoF Exhibits to Open in August; Ralph Stanley Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Ralph Stanley, Al Pacino, Annie Proulx, Robert Reich, and Robert Ballard: the world’s most interesting dinner party or a few of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences’ newly elected fellows? (It’s the latter. Stanley, Pacino, et al. will be officially inducted into the Academy on October 11.) “Alan Jackson: 25 Years of Keepin’ it […]
Rhonda Vincent, fake scurvy patient, real crime fighter. Old Crow Medicine Show’s Remedy will be released on ATO Records July 1. Here’s a teaser. The Johnny Cash Boyhood Home in Dyess, Arkansas will be opened to the public on August 16. Singer-songwriter-overachiever Donna Hughes is putting out two albums this year: bluegrass record From the Heart and Fly, […]
The Old 97s will release a new album, Most Messed Up, on ATO Records April 29. Listen to the record’s first single, “Longer Than You’ve Been Alive.” Vince Gill and Paul Franklin will perform on The View tomorrow and appear on Imus in the Morning on Friday. (via press release) Yesterday Dierks Bentley tweeted that […]
ACM New Artist of the Year Semifinalists Announced; Chris Eldridge Scores Silent Film; Stream Bluesman Leo Welch’s Debut Album
The Academy of Country Music named eight semifinalists for their New Artist of the Year Award: Lee Brice, Brett Eldredge, Tyler Farr, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Kacey Musgraves, Thomas Rhett, and Parmalee. The 2014 ACM Awards will be broadcast on CBS April 6. Punch Brother Chris Eldridge will provide the score for 1917 silent film […]
The corners of Andrew Marlin’s mouth curl into a sly grin and his words slow a beat, as if this secret is being revealed to him as he speaks. “I think I’m becoming more of a settled person — and I’m feeling inspired by that,” Marlin says, sitting in cool sunshine with Mandolin Orange partner […]
On December 7, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Buck Owens and The Buckaroos with a trio of special programs: a panel discussion (“The Buckaroos: Making Music with Buck Owens”), a book talk (about Buck ‘Em, Owens’ posthumous autobiography co-authored with Randy Poe), and a concert featuring Buddy Alan Owens, current […]
IBMA Award Nominees Announced; Stream Charlie Worsham’s Rubberband; Drive-By Truckers Reissue Due in September
The IBMA Award nominations were announced last night. The Gibson Brothers earned a total of eight nominations individually and as a band, and Balsam Range received seven. Tony Rice and Paul Warren were named as this year’s Hall of Fame inductees. Check out the full list of nominees here. The awards show will be held […]
Bankesters Offer Sneak Peek at New Album; Celebrate Louis Armstrong at Satchmo Summerfest; Is Cracker Barrel Country Music’s Starbucks?
Vince Gill and Paul Franklin talk gear with Premier Guitar. JD McPherson played a session for WEXT. Listen here. Our filmmaking pal Jeremy Dylan (remember that time we interviewed him about the Jim Lauderdale documentary?) finished a new project: a short documentary on the making of Australian country singer Jasmine Rae’s new record, If I […]
Randy Travis is awake and recovering, but will remain in the hospital for at least another two to three weeks before transferring to another location for physical therapy, his doctors said in a video update. Check out the track listing and cover art for Steve Wariner’s It Ain’t All Bad (out September 10). Here’s a […]
Charles Carr, Texas Johnny Brown Pass Away; Ronnie Dunn Launches Record Label; Howlin’ Brothers Play Folk Alley Session
Charles Carr, the man who drove Hank Williams on his ill-fated New Year’s Eve journey, passed away. 85-year old bluesman Texas Johnny Brown passed away this week after a battle with liver cancer. Shooter Jennings got married last month; People just posted some photos from the ceremony. Pam Tillis is My Kind of Country’s Spotlight […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …