Dolly Parton has been writing a movie about her life and thinks Scarlett Johansson could play her. Parton’s “Jolene” is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week. Our old The 9513 friend Stephen Deusner counted down 10 essential Dwight Yoakam songs for CMT Edge. In case you wondered if Garth Brooks still matters, he sold an estimated 180,000 […]
Country music, the whole popular roots music arena, in fact, has demanded give-and-take self-negotiations about what to hold onto, what to let go, how to find a balance between them and how to present the result, from its beginnings to this day. This summer seems to me to be proving a heady time for shows, […]
Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday. Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65. Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds […]
Lee Ann Womack, Loretta Lynn Among Additions to George Jones Tribute; Taylor Swift Education Center to Open; Alan Jackson Releases New Video
Brad Paisley, Martina McBride, Big & Rich, Loretta Lynn, Lee Ann Womack, Craig Morgan, Thompson Square, Ronnie Milsap, Bill Anderson, and, uh, Megadeth have been added to the super-sized lineup of performers at what would have been George Jones’ final Nashville concert on November 22, which has now been named “Playin’ Possum: The Final No […]
Engine 145 is proud to partner once more with Golf & Guitars, an annual golf tournament/concert event at Haggin Oaks Golf Complex in Sacramento, California that raises money for worthy charitable organizations. This year’s proceeds will go to Jenna & Patrick’s Foundation of Hope, a nonprofit dedicated to fighting Cystinosis, a rare metabolic disease that […]
Engine 145 is proud to be the official online music blog partner of Golf and Guitars VI, a fantastic two-day concert series, golf tournament, and silent auction that will be held May 20-21 at the Haggin Oaks Golf Complex in Sacramento, California. Golf & Guitars raises funds for two worthy causes: Jenna & Patrick’s Foundation […]
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.