Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Lineup Revealed; Stream New Lucinda Williams, Hal Ketchum Songs; Jim Lauderdale Documentary Due in September
There’s a feature on Mac Wiseman in the new issue of Country Weekly; you can also stream a song from his new album here. Dolly Parton is going to appear on The Foo Fighters’ new HBO series, Sonic Highways, which premieres October 17. Stream the title track to Hal Ketchum’s forthcoming record, I’m the Troubadour. […]
George Strait will release a live album, The Cowboy Rides Away: Live from AT&T Stadium, on September 16. On August 29, CMT will air a two-hour special that was shot at that concert. John Fullbright will be on Letterman August 28. Angaleena Presley, the new American Songwriter Writer of the Week, talks about her new […]
Mac Wiseman’s new album was more than 80 years in the making. And it’s worth the wait. But it’s not as though the 89-year-old music legend wasn’t doing anything else during those decades: he’s performed everywhere from the Old Dominion Barn Dance to Carnegie Hall, been an executive for Dot Records, helped found the Country […]
Ashley Monroe Hospitalized; Mac Wiseman Announces New Album; Rodney Crowell Named Musical Director of Everly Brothers Tribute
Ashley Monroe has canceled some upcoming shows due to a severe kidney infection. As she posted on her website yesterday, “This is very serious and I’m heading back to Nashville to go to the hospital. Thank you for understanding and please keep me in your prayers. I’m so sorry for the disappointment this will cause, but if […]
Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
James Alan Shelton Battles Cancer; Jamie Wilson Launches Fundraising Campaign for New Album; HBO Develops Bessie Smith Biopic
James Alan Shelton, one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys, was hospitalized recently. Doctors have diagnosed him with Stage IV cancer after they found malignant masses in his pancreas and bowel; they also said that the disease has spread to his liver. Shelton will undergo therapy and says he’ll continue playing with Stanley as long […]
Jim Lauderdale, Duhks Prep Summer Releases; New Johnny Cash Book Due in September; Mundo Earwood Passes Away
Barry Mazor spoke with Mac Wiseman at yesterday’s Hall of Fame induction announcements. Check it out. We’ve also got a few exclusive photos from the event that you can see on our Facebook page. Benjamin Whitmer, who co-wrote Charlie Louvin’s Satan is Real: The Ballad of The Louvin Brothers, talks about the experience in this […]
The 2014 Country Music Hall of Fame inductees are: Hank Cochran (Songwriter) Mac Wiseman (Veteran Era) Ronnie Milsap (Modern Era) Omnivore Recordings is holding a spring sale. Go get some music from Merle Haggard, Wanda Jackson, Buck Owens, Don Rich, and lots more. Noam Pikelny and Stuart Duncan are touring as a duo this summer. John Fullbright […]
For many of us, Eric Brace and Peter Cooper never went away. Wasn’t it just two years ago that they produced a stellar cast of musicians on the Grammy-nominated I Love: Tom T. Hall’s Songs of Fox Hollow? And it’s only three years ago that Brace and Cooper released their acclaimed Master Sessions, featuring pedal […]
George Strait’s Next Album Drops May 14; Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum to Celebrate Dottie West; New Music Videos
George Strait’s next album, Love is Everything, will be released May 14. Della Mae’s This World Oft Can Be will be released May 28 on Rounder Records. (via press release) The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is celebrating Dottie West this spring with multiple programs, including a film screening of Dottie West: Special Delivery […]
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …