For many of us, Eric Brace and Peter Cooper never went away. Wasn’t it just two years ago that they produced a stellar cast of musicians on the Grammy-nominated I Love: Tom T. Hall’s Songs of Fox Hollow? And it’s only three years ago that Brace and Cooper released their acclaimed Master Sessions, featuring pedal […]
George Strait’s Next Album Drops May 14; Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum to Celebrate Dottie West; New Music Videos
George Strait’s next album, Love is Everything, will be released May 14. Della Mae’s This World Oft Can Be will be released May 28 on Rounder Records. (via press release) The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is celebrating Dottie West this spring with multiple programs, including a film screening of Dottie West: Special Delivery […]
Ryan Adams to Release New Album in Fall; “Honor Thy Song” Concert to Remember Songwriter Tim Johnson; Taylor Swift Named RIAA’s Top-Selling Digital Singles Artist
Ryan Adams will release a new album in the fall. Steve Chandler is working with Merle Haggard and Mac Wiseman and mixing a “country-bluegrass” record. Donna Ulisse wants you in her next video. On May 7, the Ryman will host “Honor Thy Song,” an event to celebrate the late songwriter Tim Johnson. Joey + Rory, […]
I’m sometimes asked —sympathetically or suspiciously—why I don’t write more negative reviews than I do. It’s not some physical disability that prevents me from turning my thumb down; there are simply so many projects (all media included) being released now, more than I could ever discuss, and life’s too short to spend much time or […]
In the ongoing saga of Curb Records versus Tim McGraw, McGraw won a battle that keeps Big Machine from releasing sensitive negotiation documents with McGraw. In an unrelated Curb Records story, they’ve partnered with Cracker Barrel to release compilation albums from McGraw, LeAnn Rimes, The Bellamy Brothers, Rodney Atkins, The Judds and Wynonna Judd. Peter […]
Earl Scruggs Passes Away; Jamey Johnson Salutes Hank Cochran; Mississippi Country Music Trail Honors Bob Ferguson
Earl Scruggs passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Here are obituaries from the Tennessean and New York Times, remembrances from Terry Baucom and Mac Wiseman, and a Friday Five from our archives in which we asked a few banjo players to pick their favorite Scruggs tune. A public funeral service will be held […]
Sugarland Performs at Nobel Peace Prize Concert; Brian Wright Offers Free EP; Stream Bob Dylan Tribute Album
Kenny Baker, Keith Coleman, Herman Johnson, and Woody Paul of Riders in the Sky will be inducted into the National Fiddler Hall of Fame in April 2012. On Saturday night Taylor Swift accepted the Nashville Symphony Harmony Award, which is “presented to individuals who exemplify the harmonious spirit of Nashville’s music community.” On Amnesty International’s […]
Happy June, everybody. Summer’s in the air and it seems like everywhere you look, flowers are blooming uncontrollably. As it turns out, June’s birth flower is the rose. Thus, that’s the theme for this month’s playlist. There are literally hundreds of songs that fit this topic (more if you count songs about women named Rose, […]
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !
- Janice Brooks: The Kenny and Amanda Smith track is in rotation her. Hoping for a promo from Brennen and Noel.
- SunsetPark: www.dictionary.com today has "5 Famous Words of Country Music" on their front page. It includes honky-tonk (with a reference …