George Strait will perform at the CMA Awards next week; it will be his 24th performance on the CMAs. Next Tuesday, go get newly updated ebook versions of Peter Guralnick’s Sweet Soul Music: Rhythm & Blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom and his Sam Cooke book, Dream Boogie. The enhanced ebooks include interviews with […]
The Country Music Hall of Fame formally inducted Ronnie Milsap, Mac Wiseman and Hank Cochran with last night’s medallion ceremony. Rumors are flying that Ronnie Dunn might be the next artist to sign with Nash Icon. (Reba signed with the label last week.) E145 pal Peter Cooper interviewed Taylor Swift for The Tennessean. Here’s what Swift had […]
There’s an excellent feature on Mac Wiseman (written by Barry Mazor) in The Wall Street Journal. Marty Stuart was on NPR’s Fresh Air. Listen to his lengthy interview with Terry Gross here. Stuart on his collection of country music memorabilia and artifacts: I know we’re a Monday morning town; we create the chart every Monday […]
World of Bluegrass Returns to Raleigh; NPR Premieres Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn’s Album; New Music Videos
Stream Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn’s new album at NPR. Courtney Patton launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for her next album (“It’s country. And it’s full of waltzes.”), which will be produced by Drew Kennedy. The Tennessean’s Cindy Watts interviewed Blake Shelton about new album Bringing Back the Sunshine. An excerpt: “When […]
Garth Launches GhostTunes; “Two Black Cadillacs” to Become Miniseries; Bryan Sutton Releases New Video
Garth Brooks has launched GhostTunes, a streaming and download service that’s an alternative to iTunes and other digital music services. From The L.A. Times: “Brooks’ beef with iTunes is that it is grounded in selling singles, while Brooks says he wants his music sold as complete albums to protect the songwriters and music publishers who […]
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Lineup Revealed; Stream New Lucinda Williams, Hal Ketchum Songs; Jim Lauderdale Documentary Due in September
There’s a feature on Mac Wiseman in the new issue of Country Weekly; you can also stream a song from his new album here. Dolly Parton is going to appear on The Foo Fighters’ new HBO series, Sonic Highways, which premieres October 17. Stream the title track to Hal Ketchum’s forthcoming record, I’m the Troubadour. […]
George Strait will release a live album, The Cowboy Rides Away: Live from AT&T Stadium, on September 16. On August 29, CMT will air a two-hour special that was shot at that concert. John Fullbright will be on Letterman August 28. Angaleena Presley, the new American Songwriter Writer of the Week, talks about her new […]
Mac Wiseman’s new album was more than 80 years in the making. And it’s worth the wait. But it’s not as though the 89-year-old music legend wasn’t doing anything else during those decades: he’s performed everywhere from the Old Dominion Barn Dance to Carnegie Hall, been an executive for Dot Records, helped found the Country […]
Ashley Monroe Hospitalized; Mac Wiseman Announces New Album; Rodney Crowell Named Musical Director of Everly Brothers Tribute
Ashley Monroe has canceled some upcoming shows due to a severe kidney infection. As she posted on her website yesterday, “This is very serious and I’m heading back to Nashville to go to the hospital. Thank you for understanding and please keep me in your prayers. I’m so sorry for the disappointment this will cause, but if […]
Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...