For many of us, Eric Brace and Peter Cooper never went away. Wasn’t it just two years ago that they produced a stellar cast of musicians on the Grammy-nominated I Love: Tom T. Hall’s Songs of Fox Hollow? And it’s only three years ago that Brace and Cooper released their acclaimed Master Sessions, featuring pedal […]
George Strait’s Next Album Drops May 14; Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum to Celebrate Dottie West; New Music Videos
George Strait’s next album, Love is Everything, will be released May 14. Della Mae’s This World Oft Can Be will be released May 28 on Rounder Records. (via press release) The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is celebrating Dottie West this spring with multiple programs, including a film screening of Dottie West: Special Delivery […]
Ryan Adams to Release New Album in Fall; “Honor Thy Song” Concert to Remember Songwriter Tim Johnson; Taylor Swift Named RIAA’s Top-Selling Digital Singles Artist
Ryan Adams will release a new album in the fall. Steve Chandler is working with Merle Haggard and Mac Wiseman and mixing a “country-bluegrass” record. Donna Ulisse wants you in her next video. On May 7, the Ryman will host “Honor Thy Song,” an event to celebrate the late songwriter Tim Johnson. Joey + Rory, […]
I’m sometimes asked —sympathetically or suspiciously—why I don’t write more negative reviews than I do. It’s not some physical disability that prevents me from turning my thumb down; there are simply so many projects (all media included) being released now, more than I could ever discuss, and life’s too short to spend much time or […]
In the ongoing saga of Curb Records versus Tim McGraw, McGraw won a battle that keeps Big Machine from releasing sensitive negotiation documents with McGraw. In an unrelated Curb Records story, they’ve partnered with Cracker Barrel to release compilation albums from McGraw, LeAnn Rimes, The Bellamy Brothers, Rodney Atkins, The Judds and Wynonna Judd. Peter […]
Earl Scruggs Passes Away; Jamey Johnson Salutes Hank Cochran; Mississippi Country Music Trail Honors Bob Ferguson
Earl Scruggs passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Here are obituaries from the Tennessean and New York Times, remembrances from Terry Baucom and Mac Wiseman, and a Friday Five from our archives in which we asked a few banjo players to pick their favorite Scruggs tune. A public funeral service will be held […]
Sugarland Performs at Nobel Peace Prize Concert; Brian Wright Offers Free EP; Stream Bob Dylan Tribute Album
Kenny Baker, Keith Coleman, Herman Johnson, and Woody Paul of Riders in the Sky will be inducted into the National Fiddler Hall of Fame in April 2012. On Saturday night Taylor Swift accepted the Nashville Symphony Harmony Award, which is “presented to individuals who exemplify the harmonious spirit of Nashville’s music community.” On Amnesty International’s […]
Happy June, everybody. Summer’s in the air and it seems like everywhere you look, flowers are blooming uncontrollably. As it turns out, June’s birth flower is the rose. Thus, that’s the theme for this month’s playlist. There are literally hundreds of songs that fit this topic (more if you count songs about women named Rose, […]
- A.B.: Barry's article was good. The quote from Mr Young mentioning Ralph Stanley is making me speculate though. He was probably …
- Janice Brooks: got this album early this morning and added Frankie Please for now.
- Daniel Mullins: I agree 100%. This is definitely one of Croweel's strongest albums. You can't help but feel more confident about yourself …
- Juli Thanki: David, yep, I'd say it's his best since The Houston Kid; though I think I like the songwriting on here …
- henry: He has a great story about "Fever on the Bayou," which I'm sure he told you about how long the …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Incredible album, exceptional review. Totally agree that this is his finest work in more than a decade.
- David Cantwell: I can't wait to hear this, Juli. Just curious... When you say his best in more than a decade, I'm …
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!