Studio owner and recording engineer Cosimo Matassa passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Fats Domino, Little Richard, a teenage Jerry Lee Lewis, and Ray Charles were among the artists who recorded at Matassa’s J&M Recording Studio in New Orleans. Lynn Anderson was charged with DUI last night after she was involved in a […]
Fourth Person Dies from SXSW Injuries; Billboard and Twitter Team Up; Mary Gauthier Announces Tour Dates
Download a free, 55-page excerpt of Galadrielle Allman’s Please Be with Me: A Song for My Father, Duane Allman. Dierks Bentley, Kellie Pickler, Tim McGraw, Toby Keith, Lee Brice, Luke Bryan, Hunter Hayes, and Keith Urban will perform on the concert special ACM Presents: An All-Star Salute to the Troops, which is taping in Vegas […]
Bobby Osborne to Celebrate 50 Years as Opry Member; Zac Brown Band to Release The Grohl Sessions; New Music Videos
Dave Grohl has produced a brand new EP for the Zac Brown Band; The Grohl Sessions, Vol. 1 will be released on December 10. Garth Brooks had a triumphant return to television on Friday night with Garth Brooks: Live from Las Vegas. 8.7 million viewers watched the two-hour special, which won its time slot. Eric […]
Garth Returns to Vegas; Third Season of Troubadour, TX Premieres Sept. 28; Stream Sioux City Kid, Declan O’Rourke
The third season of Troubadour, TX begins on September 28. Kris Kristofferson is a segment host this season, and artists like Radney Foster, Walt Wilkins, and Bonnie Bishop are scheduled to appear. Garth Brooks returns to Vegas for eight shows in October and November. Del McCoury was interviewed by CMT Edge’s Stephen Deusner. American Songwriter […]
USPS to Release Ray Charles Stamp; Planet Bluegrass Affected by Colorado Floods; New Sarah Jarosz Video
Ray Dolby died yesterday at age 80. Here’s the New York Times obituary. The Colorado flooding has left Planet Bluegrass (in Lyons, CO) underwater. Good guys The Infamous Stringdusters are donating $2 from every ticket sold for tonight’s show in Denver to Planet Bluegrass. Lynn Anderson was interviewed by Country Universe’s Ben Foster. Jody Rosen […]
Music Industry Sees Slight Revenue Increase; New Hot Club of Cowtown Album Due in May; Caitlin Rose Premieres New Video
Global music sales increased last year for the first time since 1999. From The New York Times: The increase, of 0.3 percent, was tiny, and the total revenue, $16.5 billion, was a far cry from the $38 billion that the industry took in at its peak more than a decade ago. Still, even if it […]
Jason Isbell Leads Americana Music Awards Nominations; Buddy Rogers Passes Away; Big Machine Label Group Adds Music Publishing
Jason Isbell leads the Americana Music Awards nominations, with four. Gillian Welch was next, with three nominations. Chet Flippo remembers Doc and Merle Watson: I interviewed Doc with his son Merle (named for Merle Travis) for Rolling Stone a couple of years later, and it turned out to be a delightful time with Doc. He […]
Wilma Lee Cooper, a member of the Grand Ole Opry for 50+ years, passed away at the age of 90 late last week. Elizabeth Cook probably said it best: “Sad to know of the passing of Wilma Lee Cooper, a personal hero and original punk rockin honky tonk girl.” Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper had […]
Plagiarizing a bit from myself in a review of Julie Roberts’ brand new album, Alive: Julie Roberts is throwback. In a modern country world where Jason Aldean raps and acts eschew steel guitar and fiddle for layers of electric guitar, here sits Roberts as a reminder of all of the best parts of country music […]
There have been a number of country singers named Anderson who have graced the genre. During the 1960s and 1970s “Whispering” Bill Anderson placed an impressive number of songs on the charts, both as a songwriter and as a performer. John Anderson graced the scene during the 1980s and 1990s, mostly as a performer. Concurrently […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...