American Academy of Arts & Sciences to Induct Ralph Stanley; Alan Jackson Plays HOF Artist-in-Residence Show; Plowboy to Release Chuck Mead/Paul Burch 7″
Ralph Stanley will formally be inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Sciences tomorrow alongside fellow…fellows Al Pacino, Annie Proulx, Robert Ballard and many more. (via press release) To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Lower Broadway revival, on November 11, Plowboy Records is going to release a limited edition 7” with cuts from […]
There’s an excellent feature on Mac Wiseman (written by Barry Mazor) in The Wall Street Journal. Marty Stuart was on NPR’s Fresh Air. Listen to his lengthy interview with Terry Gross here. Stuart on his collection of country music memorabilia and artifacts: I know we’re a Monday morning town; we create the chart every Monday […]
Stream new records from Marty Stuart, Gary Clark, Jr., and Luke Winslow-King. Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives were recently on WXPN’s World Café. You can listen to their set here. MusicTimes.com posted a lengthy feature on Mac Wiseman. Go download some Dom Flemons and Jim White vs. The Packaway Handle Band music on NoiseTrade. Craig […]
CMA Launches Startup Accelerator; Actor Options Film Rights to Steve Earle Novel; Opry to Return to NYC
Progressive bluegrass duo Jimmy Gaudreau and Moondi Klein will release their third album together, If I Had a Boat, on Rebel Records September 30. It is good. (via my ears) Actor Chris Hemsworth, best known for playing Thor in various Marvel-verse movies, has optioned the film rights to Steve Earle’s novel I’ll Never Get Out of […]
Car Plows Through SXSW Barrier, Kills Two; Ray Price’s Final Recordings Due for Release in April; Josh Turner Returns to the Studio
Two were killed and 23 injured early this morning at SXSW when a car – whose driver was trying to evade police — plowed through a temporary barrier into a crowd of people outside The Mohawk, then continued driving, running over two people on a moped (those victims, a male and a female whose identities […]
Slide guitarist Luke Winslow-King’s musical journey has been as literal as it is figurative. The 30-year old singer-songwriter was born and raised in Michigan, where he learned to play jazz guitar. At the age of 19, he was touring as part of a Woody Guthrie show called “From California to the New York Islands” when […]
All for the Hall Benefit Raises $650K; Steve Earle Box Set Due in June; Steve Martin & Edie Brickell Play Letterman
Last week’s “All for the Hall” benefit concert raised nearly $650,000, bring the event’s four-year total to more than $2 million. (via press release) Songwriter Tom Douglas (“The House That Built Me,” “Grown Men Don’t Cry”) is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s newest “Poet and Prophet.” He’ll do an interview and performance […]
Gordon Stoker of The Jordanaires passed away yesterday at the age of 88. From MusicRow.com: The Jordanaires’ harmonies can be heard on some of the most famous recordings from the 1960s and early ‘70s, particularly the Elvis Presley classics “Don’t Be Cruel,” “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “It’s Now or Never.” Stoker had worked with […]
Music Photographer Ken Regan Passes Away; New Kristofferson Album Due in January; CMT Edge Offers Free Sampler
Kris Kristofferson’s next record, Feeling Mortal, will be available on iTunes 1/22. The physical release is one week later. (via press release) Photographer Ken Regan died of cancer on November 25. RollingStone.com posted a gallery of some of Regan’s music photography, including shots of Johnny Cash, Neil Young, and Bob Dylan. Dolly Parton was on The Colbert Report yesterday. Watch […]
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …
- chris: That voice singing with Jim Ed is younger sister Bonnie, also a member of the Browns.