Cowboy Jack Clement’s Last Album Due in July; NYT on the Trail of Geeshie Wiley & Elvie Thomas; New Music Videos
As was mentioned in the comments section by Juli, singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester passed away from cancer last Friday morning at the age of 69. Obituaries have been published by The New York Times, Rolling Stone, USA Today, NPR, and CMT, to name just a few. Barry Mazor reviewed The Hank Williams Reader for The Wall Street Journal. Listen […]
ACM Awards Announce First Round of Performers; Drive-By Truckers Play Conan; Freshgrass Acquires No Depression
Later this month, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will hold two Bakersfield-related events: a Pete Anderson interview/performance on March 23 and a screening of Merle Haggard’s American Masters episode on March 30. Freshgrass has acquired No Depression. American Songwriter compiled a list of 15 classic songs about New Orleans. Our pal Eric […]
Dunn, Lambert Announce New Albums; “Seven Spanish Angels” Used as Evidence in Murder Trial; New Music Videos
It looks as if Bill Monroe and Tammy Wynette may be on their very own postage stamps in the future. Jewly Hight interviewed Eleni Mandell about her new album, Let’s Fly a Kite, for CMT Edge. An excerpt: “It’s really hard to express how much it meant to hear other people do my songs — […]
Rosa Lee Watson passed away on Thursday, six months after Doc, her husband of more than 60 years. Songwriter Frank Dycus, whose credits include “I Don’t Need Your Rockin’ Chair” and “Unwound,” passed away on Friday. He was 72. Walter Hensley, the “Banjo Baron of Baltimore,” passed away on Saturday at the age of 76. […]
Frances Preston Passes Away; CMA Music Festival Sets Attendance Record; New York Banjo Summit Touring This Fall
Frances Preston, “the most influential music executive of her generation,” passed away yesterday at the age of 83. The Country Music Hall of Famer began her noteworthy career in the 1950s as a mail messenger at BMI, a job which included answering Hank Williams’ fan mail. Fabulous Superlative Harry Stinson shared his behind-the-scenes photos from […]
- Dave D.: Sorry, "Gave Her 'Heart' to Jethro."
- Dave D.: "Pay No Attention to Alice", "Homecoming", and "She Gave Her Love to Jethro" start to scratch the surface of my …
- Erik North: "A Week In A Country Jail", hot baloney, eggs, and gravy, and all.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …