Stream New Music From Patty Griffin, Willie Nelson; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute Album in May; Album Releases
Stream “Ohio,” a song from Patty Griffin’s American Kid (out 5/7), here. Rolling Stone posted the title track of Willie Nelson’s upcoming album of standards, Let’s Face the Music and Dance. Hellbound Glory played “Lost Cause” for CMT Edge. Stream David Mayfield Parade’s new record at American Songwriter. Good Man Down, which includes guests Doyle [...]
“You’re damned if you do, you’re damned if you don’t,” Kacey Musgraves admits on “Follow Your Arrow,” a gentle rebuke of small-town gossip on her debut major-label album, Same Trailer Different Park. Amused by the self-righteous judgment handed down from nosy neighbors, she plays it off with a wink and a shrug: “So you might [...]
Tony Douglas Passes Away; Blake Shelton Controversy Boils Over; Coen Brothers Release Trailer for New Folk Music Film
The Blake Shelton business mentioned in the Thursday morning roundup exploded yesterday afternoon. Ray Price took to his Facebook page and wrote It’s a shame that I have spend 63 years in this business trying to introduce music to a larger audience and to make it easier for the younger artists who are coming behind [...]
Eddie Stubbs Marks 30 Years in Broadcasting; Richard Thompson, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Announce Tour Dates; Stream Carrie Rodriguez’s New Record
George Strait kicks off his The Cowboy Rides Away Tour this Friday in Lubbock. There’s a Holly Williams EP available on NoiseTrade. Iris DeMent, Kelly Hogan, Taylor Swift, and Todd Snider are a few of the acts whose albums were in the Top 50 of the Village Voice Pazz & Jop Critics Poll. Jewly Hight [...]
Sweeney, Musgraves Among ACM Newcomer Award Nominees; Gill, Harris to Play “All for the Hall” Concert in NYC; Son Volt Announces New Album
Brian T. Atkinson interviewed Kris Kristofferson for CMT Edge. In March, the Country Music Association will host the first International Country Music Marketing Summit at Disneyland Paris. PopMatters’ Dave Heaton asks, “How much can the genre of country music progress if it’s spending all of its time looking back?” The Bluegrass Situation posted a neat [...]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a [...]
George Jones Announces Tour Dates; Real Gone Music to Reissue Two John Hartford Records; Album Releases
George Jones announced several farewell tour dates. Out January 23 on Omnivore Records: Don Rich Sings George Jones and Buck Owens’ Honky Tonk Man, a collection of previously unreleased recordings. Flaco Jimenez played an NPR Tiny Desk Concert. Wanda Jackson’s got a new video for “Am I Even a Memory,” her duet with Justin Townes [...]
Matraca Berg’s new album, Love’s Truck Stop, is getting good reviews across the pond. The second annual Red River Songwriters Festival will be held January 24-26 in Red River, New Mexico. Artists scheduled to perform include Ray Wylie Hubbard, Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, and more. Listen to new Junior Brown song, “Hang Up and Drive.” [...]
Ray Benson Launches Kickstarter Campaign; Darius Rucker Inducted Into Opry; New SteelDrivers Album Due in February
The Farewell Drifters played a couple for the Bluegrass Situation. Darius Rucker was formally inducted into the Opry yesterday. Watch here. Ray Benson launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for the release of an Asleep at the Wheel documentary. Jewly Hight talks with Shelby Lynne about her evolution as an artist and the [...]
Darius Rucker Invited to Join Opry; Taylor Swift Donates $10,000 to School for the Deaf; Ron Block Previews New Song
Yesterday, Darius Rucker was invited by Brad Paisley to join the Grand Ole Opry. Rucker will be inducted on October 16. Remember that internet contest where people voted for the Horace Mann School for the Deaf to win a Taylor Swift concert? The school was removed from the contest because “of the way it got [...]
- Bruce: "Why do people talk about the authenticity and/or genuineness of others with whom they’ve had no direct, normal social interaction ...
- Luckyoldsun: Hank III says "Old Junior once said it best,"--Is that some sort of rapprochement in the Williams family soap opera? It's ...
- Joan Harrison: Hi, My husband and I really enjoy watching your show each week. You had a recipe on for pork ...
- Jon: "@Both Kinds Of Music – Your point is?" It is a little opaque, isn't it?
- BRUCE: @Both Kinds Of Music - Your point is? BTW, I love Rucker's "Wagon Wheel" version. Gotta love Strait. I wished Swift would ...
- Luckyoldsun: Jonny Boy, Are you really as angry about this as you come off?--This has to be an act. I have no problem ...
- Barry Mazor: I'm not personally offended in the least, luckyducky, I also find discussing things with you an utter waste of time ...
- Jon: "Any reasonably educated or sophisticated adult knows" that a televised awards show (or most any other televised music variety show) ...
- Jon: "I think that a lot of the people who do watch award shows, though, watch them because they can’t (for ...
- Luckyoldsun: Rick If Taylor Swift is scoring her 60th No. 1 record at age 61 or whatever, I'll... (Oh, I forgot--I'll be ...