Shelton, Bryan to Return as ACM Awards Hosts; Music City Roots Hits Public Television; Download Noam Pikelny NoiseTrade Sampler
Jewly Hight visited Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash’s graves. Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan will co-host next year’s ACM Awards. Because they did such a great job last time? Louisa Branscomb profiled Alice Gerrard for Bluegrass Today. Going to Farm Aid? Download the app. NoiseTrade is offering downloads of Noam Pikelny and Howlin’ Brothers […]
Claire Lynch’s Dear Sister, produced by Garry West, is a mint in the mouth of any listener. Her ninth solo album (and first with roots label, Compass Records) is refreshingly thoughtful in content, just bold enough stylistically, and plain fun to listen to. Lynch’s voice takes the lead in this bluegrass-and-then some record that also […]
Stream Tracks from Kristofferson’s Feeling Mortal; Music City Roots Heads Down Under; Swift to Perform at Grammys
Stream tracks from Kris Kristofferson’s Feeling Mortal and enter Performing Songwriter’s CD giveaway. In case it aired past your bedtime last night, here’s video of Ray Wylie Hubbard’s Letterman performance. Brad Paisley says his next album, due out April 9, will be called Wheelhouse. NPR’s Ken Tucker praises the Nashville soundtrack. Taylor Swift and Mumford […]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are […]
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …