The death of George Jones remained in the news over the weekend, including this remembrance from freelance journalist Tim Ghianni for CMT. Grand Ole Opry stars Brad Paisley and Montgomery Gentry performed Jones’ songs on the Friday night show. George Jones‘ funeral is scheduled for Thursday at the Grand Ole Opry House and will be […]
The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here): Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado” Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know” […]
Gill, Skaggs to Perform at Jack Greene Memorial; New Jason Isbell Album Due in June; Mississippi Country Music Trail Will Honor Johnny Russell
A memorial service for Jack Greene will be held March 27 at the Ryman. Vince Gill, Lorrie Morgan, Gene Watson, Mandy Barnett, The Whites, Ricky Skaggs, Penn Pennington, Joe Rucker and members of the Opry band are expected to perform, while Dallas Frazier, Jeannie Seely, Keith Bilbrey, Charlie Ammerman, and Roxanne Atwood are expected to […]
The American Music Awards were held last night. Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift took home trophies. Now that his Vegas run is over, Garth Brooks is planning a 2014 world tour. Paper Angels, the book co-written by Jimmy Wayne about the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree Project, is going to be made into a […]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from […]
This year’s Railroad Revival Tour will feature Willie Nelson, Jamey Johnson, John Reilly, and Band of Horses. Early bird tickets go on sale Friday morning. Laura Cantrell played a couple Kitty Wells songs and her original, “Kitty Wells Dresses,” for KDHX. Chuck Mead talks about the upcoming one-show reunion of BR549’s original lineup: “Like the […]
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver Honored By Tennessee State Senate; Dixie Chicks Working on New Album; Free Mix From Blue Ridge Outdoors
For fans of Irish music, Compass Records is offering 25% off their Celtic CDs and DVDs until March 17. Martie Maguire says the Dixie Chicks are working on a new album: [t]he Austin-based fiddler and singer confirmed few details, but did allow that the group has co-written “about 40” new songs that they’re currently choosing […]
Radney Foster Helps Veterans; The Band Perry and Blake Shelton to Perform with Glen Campbell at Grammys; Bellamy Brothers Robbed
Here is a fine piece written by Chris Richards of the Washington Post about veterans healing through music with a little help from artists like Radney Foster and Darden Smith. Go get a free download of singer-songwriter-banjoman Kyle James Hauser’s folk-pop tune “Hopeless,” which also features cellist Ben Sollee. The Band Perry and Blake Shelton […]
Willie Nelson Plans New Album; Free Trampled By Turtles Download; Dry Branch Fire Squad Celebrates 35 Years
The Soggy Bottom Boys and Tim Blake Nelson have made a music video for “In the Jailhouse Now” to celebrate the 10th anniversary of O Brother. Willie Nelson told CelebStoner.com that he plans on releasing a record called Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die in January 2012. Nashville bass player Chris Kent […]
As we go into October, the mornings become cool and crisp around the country. The fall leaves turn to beautiful golds, yellows, oranges and reds. We start to see frost on the grass and the days begin to shorten. The air just seems fresher. We get to break out the cozy sweaters and comforting jackets […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …