April 1860 to October 1861. That was the life span of the Pony Express. Almost unbelievably, one of the world’s most famous mail delivery services was only in operation for a year and a half. The massive undertaking involved 120 riders, 184 stations, 400 horses and several hundred personnel- all of which led to a […]
Jamey Johnson Releases New Single; Charley Pride Bids On Texas Rangers; Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Lineup
Jamey Johnson‘s new single, “Playing The Part,” will be released to radio today. ASCAP will recognize Alan Jackson with its Founders Award during its country music awards ceremony on Sept. 14. The award is given to “songwriters and composers who have made pioneering contributions to music.” Alan Jackson wouldn’t have minded writing Jamey Johnson‘s song […]
Charley Pride will join Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss and Union Station at the White House today to perform as part of an educational workshop about Country music. The event will be streamed live on the internet starting at 6:25 PM/CT. Ken Tucker recently conducted an interview with Scott Borchetta which landed in the pages […]
The recitation is a tradition embedded deep in country music. It’s the art of storytelling that involves spoken words with musical accompaniment, and usually has a strong moral undertone. They vary in subject matter, from the honorary (“I Remember Johnny Horton” – Claude King) to the infinitely cheesy (“To a Sleeping Beauty” – Jimmy Dean). […]
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.