April 1860 to October 1861. That was the life span of the Pony Express. Almost unbelievably, one of the world’s most famous mail delivery services was only in operation for a year and a half. The massive undertaking involved 120 riders, 184 stations, 400 horses and several hundred personnel- all of which led to a […]
Jamey Johnson Releases New Single; Charley Pride Bids On Texas Rangers; Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Lineup
Jamey Johnson‘s new single, “Playing The Part,” will be released to radio today. ASCAP will recognize Alan Jackson with its Founders Award during its country music awards ceremony on Sept. 14. The award is given to “songwriters and composers who have made pioneering contributions to music.” Alan Jackson wouldn’t have minded writing Jamey Johnson‘s song […]
Charley Pride will join Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss and Union Station at the White House today to perform as part of an educational workshop about Country music. The event will be streamed live on the internet starting at 6:25 PM/CT. Ken Tucker recently conducted an interview with Scott Borchetta which landed in the pages […]
The recitation is a tradition embedded deep in country music. It’s the art of storytelling that involves spoken words with musical accompaniment, and usually has a strong moral undertone. They vary in subject matter, from the honorary (“I Remember Johnny Horton” – Claude King) to the infinitely cheesy (“To a Sleeping Beauty” – Jimmy Dean). […]
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …
- Juli Thanki: That would definitely be better than Marvel's hilariously terrible Billy Ray Cyrus comic book, released in 1995. http://4thletter.net/2009/02/billy-ray-cyrus-the-marvel-comic-book-yes-really/
- Applejack: "I’m sure there are many ways to lasso in and constrict any genre or format, any of them, so tightly …
- Emily: Wow!! Fabulous! Love those boots and you all look stunning! xo
- Leeann Ward: Bangor is named somewhat commonly in country songs. It's usually their example of the most north you can go: Vince …
- bob: Portland West was almost Boston West. From Names on the Land by George Stewart: "When more people arrived in Oregon, Amos …
- Jack Williams: There's "Eight More Miles To Louisville", where Portland is referred to as Portland East.
- nm: Of course, Bangor is also mentioned in "I've Been Everywhere."
- Stuart Munro: As if that's what this discussion is doing, Barry. I'm for the online commenters thinking about and discussing the music …