In an email we received this week, one of our regular readers asked why the use of lists in the lyrics of a couple of recent single reviews was frowned upon. It’s a great question (see the latest mailbag for the other kind of question), so I decided to expand upon it and get feedback […]
Best Female Country Vocal Performance (For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.) Kerosene Miranda Lambert Track from: Kerosene [Epic] I Still Miss Someone Martina McBride [RCA Nashville] Something’s Gotta Give LeAnn Rimes Track from: This Woman [Curb Records] Jesus, Take The Wheel Carrie Underwood Track from: Some Hearts [Arista/Arista Nashville/19] I Don’t Feel […]
I didn’t choose these albums based on guitar riffs or dissection of the lyrics, rythmn, and rhyme, because personally, I don’t know anything about all that stuff. I’m of the philosophy “it’s just good music, if you can feel it in your soul,” and that’s how I chose these albums as my personal favorites of […]
TIME magazine put together a list of the all time greatest albums titled the All-TIME 100. These lists are always subjective and everyone will have a different opinion, but they did a pretty good job of recognizing country music. The list includes country music greats like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton, Ray […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."