Merle Haggard marked a birthday Sunday, his 77th. He celebrated the occasion with an appearance on CBS’s Academy of Country Music awards show, where George Strait and Miranda Lambert performed a medley of his hits and where Haggard was presented with something called the Crystal Milestone Award by Garth Brooks, one of its former honorees. […]
When Loretta Lynn cut the records that transformed her into a first-rank country star, she was still touring as the featured “girl singer” for brother team Teddy and Doyle Wilburn. By late 1966, though, her back-to-back grown-woman hits “You Ain’t Woman Enough” and “Don’t Come Home a-Drinkin’ (with Lovin’ on Your Mind)” put her in […]
The first 17 inductees into the Outlaw Music Hall of Fame were announced on Saturday night. The artists named in the first class include Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, The Carter Family, Bobby Bare, Chris Gantry, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, David Allan Coe, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, Sammi Smith, Steve Young, Jessi […]
All things considered (and with Merle there’s a lot to consider) it seems to me that there’s no one in the long, wide story of country music who’s proved to have been more gifted or contributed more to it over time than Merle Haggard—as songwriter, singer, bandleader, record maker, and champion of musical heroes. For […]
The legendary Kitty Wells passed away yesterday at the age of 92. These lengthy obituaries from the Washington Post, New York Times, Tennessean, MusicRow, NPR, and CMT.com are all worth reading. Bassist Bob Babbitt, who played on classics like Gladys Knight & The Pips’ “Midnight Train to Georgia” and appeared on albums by Frank Sinatra, Elton […]
Jennifer Nettles got married last Saturday to boyfriend Justin Miller. Producer and Columbia Records A&R rep Don DeVito passed away on Friday at the age of 72. He was instrumental in the careers of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and more. Songwriter Virginia Mae Stauffer passed away earlier this month. Did a group called The Speek […]
Jason Michael Carroll Leaves Record Label; Dove Awards Nominees Announced; Johnny Bush Celebrates 75 Years
Jason Michael Carroll updated his Twitter account to let fans know that his label gave him the boot: “Unfortunately, Arista & I have decided to go our seperate ways! They called & said that they would be moving forward without me!” DFW.com’s Preston Jones and DC9 at Night’s Noah W. Bailey reviewed a recent Merle […]
The People Choose Carrie Underwood; Nashville Scene Publishes Critics’ Poll; Music Fog Covers MusicFest
Last night’s People’s Choice Award winners included: Carrie Underwood for favorite country artist, Taylor Swift for favorite female artist, and Keith Urban for favorite male artist. The Infamous Stringdusters have a busy year scheduled, starting with a Wednesday night residency at the Station Inn throughout January. The group’s new album Things That Fly is slated […]
Here are some more songs that I like; one song per artist, not necessarily his or her biggest hit. As always, I consider myself free to comment on other songs by the artist. “Arkansas”– Teddy & Doyle Wilburn (1972) The last chart hit for a duo that was of more importance as businessmen than as […]
New releases for the week of May 5, 2009 include: Bobby Duncan – Faith, Hope and Everything Else Amazon | MySpace Bourbon Crow – Long Way To the Bottom Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Buzz Cason – Busload of Love Amazon | MySpace David Davis & The Warrior River Boys – Two Dimes & A […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.