Here’s 20 of country music’s best hotel and motel songs. Apologies for excluding Neal McCoy’s “Hillbilly Rap.” Honorable Mentions: Cadillac Sky – “Motel Morning” David Houston – “No Tell Motel” Eagles – “Hotel California” Gene Watson – “Love in the Hot Afternoon” Guy Clark – “Lone Star Hotel” Jack Ingram & Jerry Jeff Walker – […]
The Academy of Country Music announced nominees for the top new artist categories, which will be fan-voted for the second year in a row. They include: Top New Solo Vocalist Luke Bryan Jamey Johnson Chris Young Top New Vocal Duo Bomshel Joey + Rory Steel Magnolia Top New Vocal Group Eli Young Band Gloriana The […]
Justin Townes Earle was named one of the world’s most stylish men by GQ. Plus check out his new song with Dawn Landes titled “Do I Ever Cross Your Mind.” Does T Bone Burnett deserve half of the credit for the song “The Weary Kind?” Austin song publisher Brandi Warden says absolutely. T Bone Burnett‘s […]
Willie Nelson collaborated with T Bone Burnett on a forthcoming album of vintage country songs that date back as far as the ’20s, and as reported by The Boot, he’s completed three others: one with James Stroud, one with Leon Russell, and another with Wynton Marsalis that serves as a tribute to Ray Charles. Townes […]
With all of his endeavors at full-throttle, Kenny Chesney confessed in an interview with EW.com’s Whitney Pastorek that he’s been running on empty for the past couple of years. In order to refuel, he’ll be sitting out the summer of 2010. Country Haiku has a series of haikus inspired by the Kanye West/Taylor Swift controversy: […]
Come Tuesday, Jack Ingram will attempt to set the world record for the most radio interviews in 24 hours. The current record stands at 96 interviews, Ingram is shooting for 225. Speaking of records, 1,859 guitar pickers played “This Land Is Your Land” in Luckenbach, Texas on Sunday to top a record previously held by […]
Watch the new video from Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers, “Johnny Cash Is Dead And His House Burned Down.” New releases for the week of June 23, 2009 include: Charlie Rich – Once a Drifter (Reissue) Amazon Charlie Robison – Beautiful Day Amazon | Lone Star Music David Frizzell & Shelly West – The […]
The current issue of Rolling Stone has a profile of Kris Kristofferson in which actor Ethan Hawke recalled a confrontation between Kristofferson and an unnamed country singer at Willie Nelson‘s 70th birthday party in 2003. The Tennessean then ran a story about that story and identified the unnamed singer as Toby Keith. However, a furious […]
In an attempt to discover and highlight the best music every month, I’ll be publishing a list of the best songs released throughout that period. Hopefully, this will present an opportunity for everyone to discuss the month’s releases, discover new and worthwhile music, and debate over the order of the list and the inclusion or […]
Over several days in the winter of 1993, during one of the worst ice storms in Tennesee history, George Jones, producer Brian Ahern and a boatload of country and pop stars retreated to the famous “Bradley Barn” studio to record Bradley Barn Sessions, an album of Jones classics performed as duets between The Possum and […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.