Ricky Skaggs & Sharon White Plan Duets Record; Stream Newport Folk Festival Performances; Album Releases
Lee Ann Womack tackles Paul McCartney’s “Let ‘Em In” for benefit album Let Us In Americana. Guy Clark’s on the cover of the new issue of American Songwriter. Read Marissa R. Moss’ excellent cover story. Jesse McReynolds will headline next month’s Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival. Overall album sales dropped 4.6 percent in the first half […]
Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
Ray Price Hospitalized for Severe Dehydration; New Dierks Bentley Record Due in Fall; Album Releases
Ray Price was hospitalized for severe dehydration. But, as he posted on his Facebook page, he’s receiving fluids and feeling better. Dierks Bentley’s next album, Riser, will be released this fall. Stream You Don’t Know Me: Rediscovering Eddy Arnold, a new tribute record featuring Pokey LaFarge, Mandy Barnett, Chuck Mead, and more. Lee Ann Womack, […]
Gill, Skaggs to Perform at Jack Greene Memorial; New Jason Isbell Album Due in June; Mississippi Country Music Trail Will Honor Johnny Russell
A memorial service for Jack Greene will be held March 27 at the Ryman. Vince Gill, Lorrie Morgan, Gene Watson, Mandy Barnett, The Whites, Ricky Skaggs, Penn Pennington, Joe Rucker and members of the Opry band are expected to perform, while Dallas Frazier, Jeannie Seely, Keith Bilbrey, Charlie Ammerman, and Roxanne Atwood are expected to […]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a […]
Let’s just get this out of the way up front: Combining 16 stellar songs from one of music’s all-time best songwriters, adding on supremely talented artists such as Alison Krauss, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and George Strait, and putting traditional country torch-bearer Jamey Johnson at the helm leaves little room in an album review for […]
September’s the month country and its cousins honor music and music makers that the Media Barons-That-Be don’t consider ripe for prime time—anything more than five minutes old, anything with specialized appeal, artists who don’t universally look like aspiring starlets or teen idols (sorry, Junior Sisk, Richard Thompson, and Billy Sherrill) and anybody at all besides […]
Sam McDonald interviewed Emmylou Harris for the Daily Press. Barry Mazor interviewed Dwight Yoakam about his new record, 3 Pears, for the Wall Street Journal. Peter Cooper also spoke with Yoakam for a Tennessean feature. The Wall Street Journal also featured an article on the Americana compilation Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe, which […]
The CMA Awards nominations were announced yesterday. Eric Church led the field with five nominations, while Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton each got four. Read the full list of nominees here. Joe South, who wrote songs including “(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden” and played on songs including Aretha Franklin’s “Chain of Fools,” passed away […]
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.