“Love for Levon” Benefit Concert Planned; Loretta Lynn Works on New Music; The Real Cost of Free Downloads
Singer-songwriter Heather Roberts is missing. She was last seen in the Dallas area. Loretta Lynn talks about the new music she’s been working on: Well, I’ve got 60-something things cut already. I’ve got a Christmas album, two religious albums. I’m gonna put ‘em out and get ‘em on the radio. Coming to the East [...]
There comes a time when the success one has is heavier than the reality of being suspended where one is. For Taylor Swift, with her catching-on-the-notes little girl voice, the break-out at 15 meant speaking truth to reality for a world of girls who’d been marginalized for their wide eyes, Hello Kitty backpacks and youth. [...]
To celebrate what would have been his 80th birthday this past weekend, TIME released a bunch of previously unreleased Johnny Cash photographs. David Allan Coe and Hank Williams III are collaborating on a new music project. George Strait had to cancel a concert two songs into a show in Kansas City. Take a listen to [...]
Curb to Release Hank Jr. Walmart Exclusive CD; Jim Lauderdale Documentary to Air in Australia; New Album Releases
Chris Thile finds the first two Nickel Creek albums “unbearably smug.” Old-time fiddler Joe Thompson passed away yesterday at the age of 93. Thompson influenced several musicians, including the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Here is a 2007 performance at the Kennedy Center. George Jones and Tammy Wynette and Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell are featured in [...]
The Civil Wars, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, Levon Helm, and Alison Krauss & Union Station took home Grammy Awards last night. The entire list of winners is here. Is country music being pushed out of the Grammy spotlight? The late Whitney Houston’s cover of Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” remains one of the [...]
It’s been such a good year for country and roots music that we had a tough time narrowing down our list to 20 albums. Records from Buddy Miller, Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, and George Strait barely missed the cut during our voting process. Here is the first half of our list. 20. LeAnn [...]
Garth and Trisha Help Build Homes in Haiti; Banjo Bonanza on Tonight’s Letterman; Buddy Holly’s Nashville Legacy
Jewly Hight penned a nice feature on Guy Clark for the Nashville Scene. For the fashionistas: LeAnn Rimes and Laura Bell Bundy got Fugged for their CMA Awards dresses (or, in Bundy’s case, her “BeDazzled underpants,”) but the fashion bloggers gave Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban a thumbs up. You can vote on Carrie Underwood’s [...]
Music journalist Patsi Bale Cox passed away at the age of 66. She was credited with books on Loretta Lynn, Wynonna Judd, Ralph Emery, George Jones and more. A benefit concert being held by George Jones will fund the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star Tammy Wynette in Mississippi. It will [...]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and [...]
View Trailer for The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams; Opry Country Classics Lineup Announced; New Video from Will Hoge
The ACM Honors show was held last night. Tom T. Hall, the late Hank Cochran, Taylor Swift, Reba, and Larry Gatlin were among those who received awards. Lydia Loveless, the 21-year old Bloodshot artist who counts Hank Williams and Britney Spears among her musical influences, chatted with Eric R. Danton for Spinner. Check out the [...]
- KC: My picks seem to be doing ok without a label, but I would sign them even if it was just ...
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...
- Ken Morton, Jr.: BTW- Julie's been in the recording studio all this past week and will be unveiling something new soon.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jonathan, I actually had this exact conversation with Julie Roberts a couple weeks ago. She came out with Emily West, ...
- Jack Williams: The first name that came to my mind was electic bluesman Alvin Youngblood Hart. He hasn't released a proper ...
- bob: There was a survey by cmt.com dated 3/31/10 which showed more than 175 country act signed to major labels. I ...
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I would sign: 1) Trisha Yearwood - I don't believe she's affiliated with Big Machine Records anymore and a new CD ...
- Juli Thanki: Oh, good thinking with Hellbound Glory, Mike. Their music matured so much between Old Highs & New Lows and Damaged ...
- Mike Wimmer: 1. Jamey Johnson-I know he is technically with a label already, but they are in dispute over how he feels ...