Jason Molina passed away Saturday at the age of 39. David Allan Coe ran a red light in Ocala, Florida, and was T-boned by a semi early this morning. Coe and the two people in the truck have been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening conditions.” On Saturday in Chicago, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will pay tribute [...]
Grammy Nominations Announced; New Videos from Don Williams, Hunter Hayes; Chelle Rose, The Mavericks Added to SXSW Roster
The Grammy nominees were announced last night. Taylor Swift and Mumford and Sons were nominated for Record of the Year and Album of the Year, respectively. You can read the entire list of nominations here. Best Country Solo Performance Dierks Bentley, “Home” Eric Church, “Springsteen” Ronnie Dunn, “Cost of Livin’” Hunter Hayes, “Wanted” Blake Shelton, [...]
Lyle Lovett to Receive ASCAP Creative Voice Award; Legal Battle Over Right to Use Bill Monroe’s Name; New Ryan Bingham Video
Scott Bernstein of Glide Magazine did a song-by-song recap (with a few videos) of Wednesday’s Love for Levon concert. The concert was also reviewed in the New York Times and American Songwriter. There’s a legal battle going on about the right to use Bill Monroe’s name: Campbell “Doc” Mercer can’t use Monroe’s likeness or name [...]
Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael [...]
This year’s Railroad Revival Tour will feature Willie Nelson, Jamey Johnson, John Reilly, and Band of Horses. Early bird tickets go on sale Friday morning. Laura Cantrell played a couple Kitty Wells songs and her original, “Kitty Wells Dresses,” for KDHX. Chuck Mead talks about the upcoming one-show reunion of BR549’s original lineup: “Like the [...]
New Dwight Yoakam Album Out 9/18; Glen Campbell Cancels Australia and New Zealand Shows; Free Paul Thorn EP
Dwight Yoakam’s got some big news: a new album, 3 Pears, coming out on Warner Bros. Records September 18. Yoakam worked on the album with Beck, and recorded a few songs at Beck’s home studio. Glen Campbell canceled his Australia and New Zealand tour dates. So Robert Plant and Patty Griffin didn’t actually elope; his [...]
New Dates Announced for Garth Brooks’ Vegas Shows; Laura Cantrell on Johnnie Wright; Marty Raybon and Bucky Covington Ink New Deals;
Marty Raybon signed with Rural Rhythm Records. Bucky Covington signed a deal with eOne (Entertainment One Music Group). Folk artist Bert Jansch passed away this morning. There’s a new Quotable Country over at Country California. Laura Cantrell spoke with Jim Bessman of the Examiner about Johnnie Wright and Kitty Wells. If you’ve got a few [...]
Chet Flippo on women in country music: The recent furor over the revelation that the Top 30 of Billboard‘s hot country songs chart had no solo women artists for the first time in recent recorded history comes as no huge news. One main reason: There are relatively few solo women working successfully in country music [...]
If you weren’t at the Newport Folk Festival, or just want to relive it, check out NPR’s streams and downloads of artists like the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Wanda Jackson, Chris Thile & Michael Daves, and lots more. The newest edition of Quotable Country. Country singer Jack Barlow has passed away. Opry Pioneer Trudy Stamper has [...]
Laura Cantrell recommends the Bessie-Smith-meets-Coon-Creek-Girls foursome The Roulette Sisters. Billy Currington: Soulman. Blake Shelton has been deemed an acceptable crossover artist by the New York Times and New York magazine, says Chet Flippo in his newest column. Hayes Carll on prison gangs and his very first cassette tape (Kenny Rogers). Roots rockers The Von Ehrics [...]
- Luckyoldsun: For Dylan covers with impact, nothing surpasses the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man." As far as obscure ones, I happened to like ...
- Leeann Ward: Happy to see the Randy Travis and Sara Jarosz covers, but another fave is Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris, "Shelter from the ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Among duos, 'Cruise' surpasses Carl Butler & Pearl's 11 weeks at No. 1 with "Don't Let Me "Cross Over" in ...
- Bruce: Good to read a Chestnut update. I liked Conan's comments about Swift's song. Kudo's for Toby's plans for Oklahoma. The ...
- Andrew: Ronnie Dunn has been saying on his Facebook page that he and Toby Keith are working on putting together a ...
- Daniel Mullins: Some other must-haves include Tony Rice's jazzy "Sweetheart Like You" (one of his performances on Me & My Guitar) http://www.amazon.com/Sweetheart-Like-You/dp/B005T4R5R8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1369406119&s=dmusic&sr=1-19 Jerry Lee Lewis' ...
- Jack Williams: Buddy Miller - With God On Our Side
- Kelly D.: Love the Mount Moriah stuff and its time more people know about David Ramirez...
- Daniel Mullins: Haha. I see it in the playlist now.
- Daniel Mullins: How about The Seldom Scene's "Boots of Spanish Leather"? That one is mighty hard to beat. One of my favorite ...