Adam Hood discusses songwriting and his new album in this CMT Edge Q&A. Bloodshot Records get some love from hometown paper The Chicago Tribune. If you’ve got an hour, check out this BBC documentary, Bob Harris: My Nashville. Here’s a new Punch Brothers song called “Blow It Off.” It’ll be on their next album, which […]
Many artists across Nashville and beyond are mourning the passing of Station Inn fixture Ann Soyars. She was 67. Gretchen Peters unveiled “When All You Got Is a Hammer” from forthcoming album Blackbirds (out February 10). The 20th Annual ICM Faith, Family and Country Awards were held late last week in Nashville. Chuck Hancock, Russ Murphy, Carrie Underwood, Alan […]
Loretta Lynn signed a multi-album deal with Legacy Recordings. The first album is slated for release in 2015. Lynn has been working with daughter Patsy L. Russell and John Carter Cash at the Cash Cabin Studio “on a project that travels back and explores Loretta’s musical history, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music […]
George Jones Museum Planned for Nashville’s Second Ave.; Additional CMA Awards Performers Announced; Album Releases
Best wishes to Elizabeth Cook, who’s “reluctantly agreeing to hit the pause button and recalibrate” after a stretch that included the loss of both parents, a divorce, and a busy touring and radio show schedule. The Save Studio A group released an independent report on the state of the building, which current owners Bravo Development […]
George Hamilton IV suffered a heart attack last Saturday. He is recovering in a Nashville area hospital. Billy Bob Thornton’s band, The Boxmasters, have been signed to 101 Ranch Records and will release a new single later this year, with a double album and tour planned for early 2015. They join Mark Collie on the label. Ray Charles comes […]
Jerry Douglas Announces Flatt & Scruggs Tribute Album; SiriusXM Launches Y2Kountry; New Music Videos
Ali Lohan, younger sister of Lindsay, is reportedly getting ready to launch a country music career. The internet was abuzz over Tim McGraw’s intentional/unintentional swipe/slap of a fan that got a little too grabby at one of his concerts. JD Crowe, Doyle Lawson and Paul Williams will release Standing Tall and Tough on Mountain Home […]
Gerry Goffin Passes Away; Rhiannon Giddens Plans Solo Album; New Book Celebrates the Telluride Bluegrass Festival
Songwriting legend Gerry Goffin passed away yesterday at the age of 75. What’s your favorite song that Goffin co-wrote? (I’m partial to “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” and The Byrds‘ version of “Goin’ Back.”) The project to restore Woody Guthrie’s childhood home in Okemah has hit a snag due to a financial dispute. The 615 […]
Don Light Passes Away; Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper Announce New Album; L.A. Mag Publishes History of The Palomino
Don Light, who managed acts like Keith Whitley and Steve Wariner and also was a booking agent (he founded the first gospel music booking agency) and producer, passed away yesterday. This is neat: Los Angeles Magazine published an oral history of The Palomino, the famous honkytonk that hosted just about anybody who was anybody in […]
Cowboy Jack Clement’s Last Album Due in July; NYT on the Trail of Geeshie Wiley & Elvie Thomas; New Music Videos
As was mentioned in the comments section by Juli, singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester passed away from cancer last Friday morning at the age of 69. Obituaries have been published by The New York Times, Rolling Stone, USA Today, NPR, and CMT, to name just a few. Barry Mazor reviewed The Hank Williams Reader for The Wall Street Journal. Listen […]
Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars. Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...