Neil Young, Carrie Underwood Announce New Albums; Tootsie’s Plans Birthday Bash; Bankesters Release Video
Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge will celebrate its 54th birthday with a block party on November 12; performers at the event will include Terri Clark and Chuck Wicks. Neil Young will release a new album, Storeytone, in November. Listen to new song “Who’s Gonna Stand Up,” which Young recorded with a 92-piece orchestra. Jason Aldean got engaged […]
Car Plows Through SXSW Barrier, Kills Two; Ray Price’s Final Recordings Due for Release in April; Josh Turner Returns to the Studio
Two were killed and 23 injured early this morning at SXSW when a car – whose driver was trying to evade police — plowed through a temporary barrier into a crowd of people outside The Mohawk, then continued driving, running over two people on a moped (those victims, a male and a female whose identities […]
Bobby Osborne Launches Video Series; Valerie June to Make Austin City Limits Debut; New Album Releases
Watch the first two installments of Bobby Osborne’s “Road to the Opry” video series. 2014 marks Osborne’s 50th year as an Opry member. Time to vote for this year’s Lone Star Music Awards. Mary Chapin Carpenter played a couple shows with The New York Philharmonic. Here’s Jon Pareles’ (New York Times) take on one of […]
HoF to Launch Miranda Lambert Exhibit; Jesse McReynolds Celebrates 50 Years with the Opry; Dolly Books Glastonbury Gig
Miranda Lambert: Backstage Access will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on May 16; the exhibition will run through November 9. Tomorrow the Grand Ole Opry will pay tribute to Jesse McReynolds, who celebrates his 50th anniversary as an Opry member this year. Tammy Wynette’s daughters want the singer’s name to […]
Watch Jason Isbell’s Austin City Limits Outtakes; New Country Fest Comes to Cincinnati; Album Releases
“Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue” was inspired by a dog. Songwriter Richard Leigh explains in this video (in true country fashion, the dog dies at the end of Leigh’s story and it’s really sad). Ralph Stanley’s show at the Old Town School of Folk Music was reviewed in The Chicago Tribune. (Just ignore […]
Stream Mercyland Compilation; Lionel Richie’s Tuskegee Tops Billboard’s Hot 100; Driving Virginia’s Crooked Road Music Heritage Trail
Dick Clark passed away yesterday. Clark had several ties to country music, including the country show he hosted in the early ‘50s, Cactus Dick and the Santa Fe Riders. Stream Mercyland: Hymns for the Rest of Us, a fantastic compilation featuring Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, and more. For all the roadtrippers […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.