Mavis Staples, North Mississippi Allstars Collaborate; Kix Brooks Films Food Network Pilot; New Album Releases
Reports say that the RCA Studio A building, bought last month by Bravo Development, is in poor shape, requiring a new HVAC system, “substantial reinforcement” of the walls, and reconfiguration of various structural elements in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. On Friday night, Bravo’s PR firm released a statement that said, […]
Lori McKenna will release a ten-song album called Numbered Doors on September 23. Cindy Watts reported in The Tennessean that Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is fully renovated and ready for its grand opening on August 16 in Dyess, Arkansas. Ticketmaster broke when tickets for Garth Brooks’ Atlanta concerts went on sale. We’d like to send some well wishes […]
Dolly, Nickel Creek Debut Songs; FreshGrass Lineup Announced; New Opry Country Classics Season Premieres March 27
The 2014 FreshGrass lineup looks excellent: Rodney Crowell, The Gibson Brothers, Valerie June, The Martha Redbone Roots Project, and Darol Anger are just a few of the acts scheduled to play the September festival in North Adams, Mass. RollingStone.com premiered the title track for Dolly Parton’s forthcoming album, Blue Smoke. Larry Gatlin returns as host […]
Miranda’s Platinum Gets Release Date; “Country Roads” Named West Virginia’s State Song; New Music Videos
Mark your calendars. Miranda Lambert’s new album, Platinum, will be released on June 3. Take a peek at the cover art. Jason Michael Carroll has launched a new Kickstarter campaign to fund his upcoming fourth album. Bluegrass songstress Becky Schlegel will celebrate the release of her new album, Opry Lullaby, with a record release show […]
Billy Currington Indicted for “Terroristic Threats”; Kacey Musgraves Added to Bonnaroo Lineup; Stream New Kenny Chesney, Vandaveer Albums
EW.com premiered Kris Kristofferson’s recording of “How Many Days,” a song from the upcoming Stephen King/T Bone Burnett/John Mellencamp project, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, which is coming out June 4. Stream Vandaveer’s album of murder ballads, Oh, Willie, Please…, before its April 30 release date. The Texas Thunder music festival will raise funds for those […]
Pistol Annies’ Second Album Drops in May; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman; New Ron Block Album Due This Summer
Pistol Annies’ sophomore record, Annie Up, will be released May 7. Elizabeth Cook returns to Letterman on Thursday night for an interview and performance. According to a University of Cambridge study that used data including intelligence and personality tests, those who “like” Lady Antebellum on Facebook are more likely to have a lower IQ. (Facebook […]
UNC to Celebrate Alan Lomax; Bonnaroo Lineup Announced; Stream New Edie Brickell & Steve Martin Song
People reports that Mindy McCready was prepared to release a suicide-prevention PSA featuring “I’ll See You Yesterday,” a song that was “intended for her next album.” Following her death, her friend and the video’s director, Dan Hanks, posted it on YouTube. Listen to “When You Get to Asheville,” a cut from Steve Martin and Edie […]
The Eagles’ Don Henley will release a new solo album called Cass County in May. Henley said the album “leans towards country. Some of it’s traditional country, some of it is what you might call alt-country, and I’ve got a lot of interesting guest vocalists and musicians on there with me. I made a lot […]
On October 3, Charley Pride will be honored by the Smithsonian’s new National Museum of African American History and Culture with a reception. Pride’s sending the museum his 1971 Country Male Vocalist of the Year Award, his 1972 Grammy, a guitar, and some ‘70s outfits for display at the museum, which is slated to open […]
Kix Brooks to Host Overnight Radio Show; Bankesters Premiere New Video; How Does Americana Stay True?
Wall Street Journal music critic Jim Fusilli wrote a fine article called “How Americana Stays True.” An excerpt: Will the Americana movement succumb to the temptation to dumb down, or gloss up, its music to appeal to a wider audience? It seems unlikely. The AMA’s 1,600 members, many of whom are Americana musicians, control its […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."