Don Devaney Passes Away; Another Hank Williams Biopic in the Works; Grammy Awards Add “Best American Roots Performance”
Songwriter Don Devaney, who penned “Someone Loves You Honey,” “Listening to the Rain,” and many more, passed away last Friday at the age of 78. The Grammy Awards added several new categories, one of which is Best American Roots Performance. The press release notes that this is an artist’s award that will “encompass all of […]
Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release) Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter. You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if […]
This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix features Gibson Brothers, Roger Knox, The Mavericks, and more. Download it here. Check out “The Feud,” a new Hellbound Glory single. Ain’t in It for My Health: A Film About Levon Helm will premiere at Cinema Village in New York on April 19 before showing in select […]
Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale Launch Sirius XM Show; Kenny Chesney Nets 24th No. 1 Single; Music City Roots Celebrates Guitar Night
Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale are launching their own radio show on Sirius XM’s Outlaw Country on August 4 at 10 p.m. Eastern. American Songwriter has a teaser of Lucinda Williams’ guest appearance on The Buddy & Jim Show. There’s a famous voice in this fan-assisted video of Gretchen Peters’ “Hello Cruel World.” Stream Walt […]
Conway Twitty Gets Marker on Miss. Country Music Trail; Bluebird Cafe Celebrates 30 Years; New Music Videos
Delaney Davidson was the big winner at the New Zealand Country Music Awards last week with his steel guitar-driven song “You’re a Loser.” Barry Mazor passed along this great video of Elizabeth Cook paying tribute to Doc Watson with “Columbus Stockade Blues.” After Eric Church’s concert was cancelled in Buffalo due to bad weather, angry […]
Jason Isbell’s Van and Gear Stolen; Doyle Bramhall Sr. Passes Away; Jennifer Nettles Considers Solo Record
Phil Vassar will have a brand new Christmas album called Noel available on November 22. The 10-cut collection on RodeoWave Entertainment includes five original songs and five holiday classics. “I love the way Christmas makes you feel,” says Vassar. “How it makes you slow down and re-evaluate your life. It makes you think about years […]
Sibling and family acts are part of the fabric of country music, going way back to The Carter Family and stretching all the way forward to current new acts such as Sons of Sylvia and The Harters. For siblings Kimberly, Reid and Neil Perry–all member of The Band Perry–the evolution into a family country band […]
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …