Don Devaney Passes Away; Another Hank Williams Biopic in the Works; Grammy Awards Add “Best American Roots Performance”
Songwriter Don Devaney, who penned “Someone Loves You Honey,” “Listening to the Rain,” and many more, passed away last Friday at the age of 78. The Grammy Awards added several new categories, one of which is Best American Roots Performance. The press release notes that this is an artist’s award that will “encompass all of […]
Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release) Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter. You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if […]
This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix features Gibson Brothers, Roger Knox, The Mavericks, and more. Download it here. Check out “The Feud,” a new Hellbound Glory single. Ain’t in It for My Health: A Film About Levon Helm will premiere at Cinema Village in New York on April 19 before showing in select […]
Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale Launch Sirius XM Show; Kenny Chesney Nets 24th No. 1 Single; Music City Roots Celebrates Guitar Night
Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale are launching their own radio show on Sirius XM’s Outlaw Country on August 4 at 10 p.m. Eastern. American Songwriter has a teaser of Lucinda Williams’ guest appearance on The Buddy & Jim Show. There’s a famous voice in this fan-assisted video of Gretchen Peters’ “Hello Cruel World.” Stream Walt […]
Conway Twitty Gets Marker on Miss. Country Music Trail; Bluebird Cafe Celebrates 30 Years; New Music Videos
Delaney Davidson was the big winner at the New Zealand Country Music Awards last week with his steel guitar-driven song “You’re a Loser.” Barry Mazor passed along this great video of Elizabeth Cook paying tribute to Doc Watson with “Columbus Stockade Blues.” After Eric Church’s concert was cancelled in Buffalo due to bad weather, angry […]
Jason Isbell’s Van and Gear Stolen; Doyle Bramhall Sr. Passes Away; Jennifer Nettles Considers Solo Record
Phil Vassar will have a brand new Christmas album called Noel available on November 22. The 10-cut collection on RodeoWave Entertainment includes five original songs and five holiday classics. “I love the way Christmas makes you feel,” says Vassar. “How it makes you slow down and re-evaluate your life. It makes you think about years […]
Sibling and family acts are part of the fabric of country music, going way back to The Carter Family and stretching all the way forward to current new acts such as Sons of Sylvia and The Harters. For siblings Kimberly, Reid and Neil Perry–all member of The Band Perry–the evolution into a family country band […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.