Miss. Country Music Trail Salutes Bobbie Gentry; Sarah Trahern Named CMA CEO; James McMurtry Signs with Complicated Game
I missed a couple albums in yesterday’s record release roundup: Buffalo Clover’s Test Your Love and Jesse Cobb’s Solitude. Bobbie Gentry’s marker on the Mississippi Country Music Trail will be unveiled tomorrow. (Like all of the Trail markers, Gentry’s has been written by Barry Mazor.) The CMA Board of Directors has named Sarah Trahern the […]
This article will focus on some more artists who either had a very short period of great success or had an extended run of near-success. The McCarters blazed brightly across the sky in 1988 and ’89. Comprised of lead singer Jennifer and her twin sisters Lisa and Teresa, this trio hearkened back to an older […]
Welcome to The 9513’s chart update, now with twice the charts. We’re trying a couple new things to give a slightly broader reach of what’s going on in the country chart world, so let me know if you like the changes. The focus of this feature will continue to be The 9513’s Last.fm charts, however, […]
Juli Thanki The Quintessential Hank Thompson 1948-1979 by Hank Thompson New releases from George Strait and Reba McEntire received the lion’s share of attention this cycle, which means a couple excellent albums slipped under the radar. Gene Watson returned with A Taste of the Truth, which, in my opinion, is one of the best albums […]
Tim McGraw stopped his concert at the California Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles on Sunday to have a man ejected by security for his perceived mistreatment of a woman. In other McGraw news, his next album, Southern Voice, will be released Oct. 20. New releases for the week of July 28, 2009 include: Elvis Presley […]
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …