It was the Blake and Miranda show last night at the 46th Annual Country Music Association Awards Ceremony last night with the married couple hauling in trophies for four different awards. What were your favorite highlights and lowlights? Here is a list of the winners: Entertainer of the year- Blake Shelton Female vocalist- Miranda Lambert [...]
He doesn’t sing about much. Not really. Back water towns with water towers, driving with no place to go, working with one’s hands, no real arc for what the future holds, needing to believe and finding little to put one’s faith in. An American Dream that’s faded, now torn and shrinking. The will to survive [...]
Ray Benson Launches Kickstarter Campaign; Darius Rucker Inducted Into Opry; New SteelDrivers Album Due in February
The Farewell Drifters played a couple for the Bluegrass Situation. Darius Rucker was formally inducted into the Opry yesterday. Watch here. Ray Benson launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for the release of an Asleep at the Wheel documentary. Jewly Hight talks with Shelby Lynne about her evolution as an artist and the [...]
September’s the month country and its cousins honor music and music makers that the Media Barons-That-Be don’t consider ripe for prime time—anything more than five minutes old, anything with specialized appeal, artists who don’t universally look like aspiring starlets or teen idols (sorry, Junior Sisk, Richard Thompson, and Billy Sherrill) and anybody at all besides [...]
Rockabilly artist Nick Curran passed away at the age of 35 after a battle with oral cancer. The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Dinner and Induction Ceremony was held on Sunday night. Honorees included Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tony Arata, Larry Henley, and Kim Williams. Edward Morris recapped the event for CMT. Kellie Pickler signed with [...]
Songwriter: Keith Gattis If age is wearing on Kenny Chesney, it’s nowhere more obvious than in his single choices of late. While the stadium superstar hasn’t fully abandoned the boisterous country-rock anthems he’s made a career on – cue his recent collaboration with Tim McGraw “Feel Like a Rock Star” – a pattern of riskier [...]
After the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins seemingly won every possible league championship earlier this decade, it was easy to feel jealous of all of those Boston sports fans. Now, the Red Sox have had to overhaul their whole line-up, the Celtics have seemingly passed their window in the NBA, the Patriots are still [...]
We did a Springsteen Friday Five on The 9513 three years ago, but there are so many good covers that it’s time for a second volume. Bonus Track: Trisha Yearwood — “Sad Eyes” Okay, this one made the last Springsteen Friday Five, but it’s so good I’ve got to post it again. Double Bonus [...]
In a world where faster, better, louder and especially newer matters, the 46th Annual Country Music Association Awards nominations speak eloquently to that truth. But as the dust from the nominations settles, the realization that it’s not just that truth, but the notion that many of the genre’s bedrock acts for more than two decades [...]
Claire Lynch signed with Compass Records. Her Compass debut will be released in early 2013. (via press release) Zac Brown Band’s The Foundation went triple platinum. Hunter Hayes’ “Wanted” and Toby Keith’s “As Good As I Once Was” have both gone platinum, and Carrie Underwood’s “Blown Away” has been certified gold. Bruce Springsteen is a fan [...]
- TX Music Jim: Lee Ann Womack for sure we need some new music. Turnpike Troubadors They have been releasing some great material and are ...
- bob: After the not so Incredible Machine cd, I'll try to hear as much of the Nettles solo album as I ...
- nm: Richard Bennett is a class act. That is all.
- Bruce: Jon's comment about lip-syncing seems to agree with my statement "I know it isn’t a new thing.." At least I ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Randy Travis is suing the Texas attorney general’s office and the Texas Department of Public Safety to prevent the release ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Lip-syncing is ancient history;" So you're saying that lip synching is not done--or not commonly done--anymore. Gee, this board is so ...
- Juli Thanki: It sounds just like Earl. If Earl played it at quarter-speed while half in the bag. And perhaps also if ...
- Jon: Lip-syncing is ancient history; it's about time people got over that. So, Juli, the real question is, have *you* mastered "Cripple ...
- Bruce: Also concerning Nettles solo project, I thought she had been a solo artists for the last few years? Sorry but ...
- Bruce: Swift's wins at the Billboard Music Awards in a non-issue with me. But I LOVED Kid Rock's dig at lip-syncing. ...